Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Cheese and Poppy Seed Cake
One of the best poppy seed cakes we've ever eaten. If you like poppy seeds you will love this cake.
1 hr 25 mins
- Makes 10-12 servings
- 2/3 cups (150 g ) butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 12 tbsp flour
- Cheese Filling
- 10 oz (300 g) fresh cheese (cream cheese or ricotta cheese)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp vanilla pudding powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Poppy seed Mixture
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 80 g poppy seeds, grounded
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 175C (350F).
- For the crust mix all ingredients in a food processor until crumbs are formed. Press 2/3 of the crumbs into bottom of a 10-inch (26) spring form pan (with a removable base) so that they stick together but not so much that it'll lose its crumby texture.
- For the cheese filling beat cheese, lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract, sugar, corn starch and pudding powder in a food processor until well blended. Start adding the eggs one at a time until each egg is absorbed.
- Bring the milk with the sugar to a boil. Pour it over the poppy seeds. Let the poppy seeds absorb all the milk. Add the egg and the breadcrumbs.
- Pour the cheese filling over the prepared crust forming 1 circle in the middle and 2 rings, one at the edge and one in the middle. Pour poppy seed mixture between the cheese rings. Sprinkle the rest of the crust crumbs on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Run a sharp knife completely around the inside edge of the pan. Let it cool at room temperature. Serve it or refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:318, Fat:22.8 g, Saturated Fat:12.5 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0 g, Carbohydrates:19.0 g, Sugar:10.2 g, Fiber:1.0 g, Protein:10.2 g, Cholesterol:101 mg, Calories from Fat 205, Sodium 253mg, Vitamin A 13%, Calcium 31%, Vitamin C 2%, Iron 8%, Nutrition Grade C-, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.