This is my first time trying a semifreddo recipe. Searching for the perfect one I ran over Donna Hay's recipe which seemed very easy to do. I used her basic recipe and added some cherries as they are in season now to add a delicious summer flavor.
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- 1 pound (400 g ) fresh cherries, pitted
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, extra
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
- Place the eggs, extra yolks, vanilla and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat for 6–8 minutes or until thick and pale. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold through the egg mixture until well combined.
- Line a 2 litre-capacity loaf tin with plastic wrap. Put the pitted cherries down into the bottom of the loaf tin, and pour the cream mixture on top. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve invert onto a plate, remove the plastic wrap and cut into slices.