Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Chocolate Cake Balls
Posted on December 19, 2011
Delicious, elegant chocolate cake balls recipe, coated in chocolate with a smooth, fudge interior, just perfect for holidays. Makes a wonderful gift idea.
40 mins+ 1hr chilling
- Makes about 60-65 balls
- Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 oz (200 g) cream cheese
- 1 stick (110 g) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp rum essence
- 13 oz chocolate (360 g) chocolate (white, milk and dark)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Butter the sides and bottom of a 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients. Add water, vinegar, vanilla extract and oil and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting: Combine the cream cheese with butter and sugar. Mix well until creamy.
- Crumble the chocolate cake into a large bowl. Add the cream cheese frosting and rum essence and mix well to combine.
- Take teaspoons of mixture and roll into balls. Lay the balls into a baking sheet and refrigerate for several hours to chill or put them in the freezer for no more than 1 hour like I did.
- Melt few pieces of chocolate over bain-marie and roll balls in chocolate. Lay on wax paper until firm. I used a fork to dip and roll the balls into chocolate. I used 3 types of chocolate (90 g white chocolate, 90 g milk chocolate and 180 g dark chocolate) and melt 90 g at a time. I also rolled the white ones into coconut flakes but that is optional.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. They are absolutely divine.
Nutrition facts 1 Chocolate Ball - Calories:86, Fat:4.9 g, Saturated Fat:2.8 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0 g, Carbohydrates:9.8 g, Sugar:6.9 g, Protein:1.0 g, Cholesterol:8 mg, Calories from Fat 44, Sodium 27 mg, Vitamin A 2%, Calcium 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Iron 2%, Nutrition Grade D-, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.