Chocolate Cake Balls
Delicious, elegant chocolate balls recipe with rum taste perfect for winter holidays. Makes a wonderful gift idea for Christmas. Coated in chocolate with a smooth, fudgy interior - everybody will love them, that's for sure.
- Makes about 60-65 balls
- Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 200 g cream cheese
- 100 g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp rum essence
- 360 g chocolate (white, milk and dark)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F). Butter the sides and bottom of a 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients. Add water, vinegar, vanilla extract and oil and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely.
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting: Combine the cream cheese with butter and sugar. Mix well until creamy.
- Crumble the chocolate cake into a large bowl. Add the cream cheese frosting and rum essence and mix well to combine.
- Take teaspoons of mixture and roll into balls. Lay the balls into a baking sheet and refrigerate for several hours to chill or put them in the freezer for no more than 1 hour like I did.
- Melt few pieces of chocolate over bain-marie and roll balls in chocolate. Lay on wax paper until firm. I used a fork to dip and roll the balls into chocolate. I used 3 types of chocolate (90 g white chocolate, 90 g milk chocolate and 180 g dark chocolate) and melt 90 g at a time. I also rolled the white ones into coconut flakes but that is optional.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. They are absolutely divine.