Cranberry Sauce is a must have on Thanksgiving dinner as it is the perfect topping for turkey. It is very easy and quick to prepare with either frozen or fresh cranberries and can be made in advance.
The classic cranberry sauce is made with cranberries, sugar and water, and cooked until cranberries pop out and the sauce is slightly thickened. Usually orange juice, orange or lemon zest, cinnamon or other spices are then added to bring extra flavor or texture to the classic recipe. Feel free to adjust the recipe according to your own tastes. Happy holidays!
- Makes about 2 cups cranberry sauce
- 12 oz (350g) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- orange zest, optional
- Put the water, orange juice and sugar to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
- Add cranberries, bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes more until cranberries start to pop.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle orange zest if desired and let cool to room temperature, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. The sauce will thicken as it cools.