Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet potatoes are delicious, and the soup even more. Perfect for cold days.
- Makes about 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3/4 cup celery root, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato
- 4 cups (1 Liter) vegetable stock or water
- 3 large sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp fresh lovage leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat, and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add carrot, celery and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, vegetable stock and chili pepper and bring to boil then lower to a simmer.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup in blender until smooth and strain it through a sieve. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot soup into warmed bowls and garnish with sour cream or yogurt. Serve with toasted bread or bread croutons.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:132, Fat:2.5 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0 g, Carbohydrates:26.2 g, Sugar:2.3 g, Fiber:4.2 g, Protein:1.9 g, Cholesterol:0 mg, Calories from Fat 23, Sodium 40mg, Vitamin A 38%, Calcium 4%, Vitamin C 30%, Iron 4%, Nutrition Grade A, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.