- Veggie Burgers - Sweet Potato Burger Patties
- Double Chocolate Rum Cookies
- Pistachio Raspberry Lime Mousse Cake
- Christmas Wreath - Christmas Braided Bread
- Christmas Chocolate Cookie Cups
- Gingerbread Orange Cake Roll
- Cranberry Pistachio Fudge without Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Triple Chocolate Cranberry Mousse Cake
I've always wanted to make sesame and poppy seeds pretzels at home. These pretzels were one of may favorite school snacks. They are so good served warm right after they are done, especially on cold days.
The recipe is easy, what takes more time if you are not used is to shape all the pretzels. But after you get used it goes really fast.
The trick to these pretzels is the fact that they need to be boiled in baking soda water before baking. This step makes them get that reddish color while baking.
Sesame and poppy seed coated homemade pretzels, crunchy brown exterior and soft chewy interior are a perfect snack for any time of the day.
- Makes 10-12 servings
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (25 g fresh yeast)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Sesame and poppy seeds
- For Simmering
- 1 quart (1 liter) of water
- 3 tbsp baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix flour with salt and sugar. Dissolve the fresh yeast in water and add to the flour mixture. Mix everything together and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Cover it and let it rise for about 1 hour until the dough doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Divide the dough into 10-12 equal pieces. The dough is easy to handle; not sticky so you don't need flour or oil to work with it. Roll each piece of dough into a thin rope. Twist into the shape of a pretzel: Pick up both ends, create a U-shape with the rope and cross them over each other. Press each end into the bottom of the "U" shape to form the shape of a pretzel.Let them rise for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring water to a boil. Dissolve the baking soda. Dip each pretzel in the soda water for 3-4 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Drain on a wire rack. sprinkle with your choice of topping and salt.
- Place the pretzels on a greased baking sheet and bake them for about 20 minutes or until pretzels are deep golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.