- Veggie Burgers - Sweet Potato Burger Patties
- Double Chocolate Rum Cookies
- Pistachio Raspberry Lime Mousse Cake
- Christmas Wreath - Christmas Braided Bread
- Christmas Chocolate Cookie Cups
- Gingerbread Orange Cake Roll
- Cranberry Pistachio Fudge without Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Triple Chocolate Cranberry Mousse Cake
Apple Meringue Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
I have always loved this apple meringue cake as it’s one of the firsts cakes I have made ever since I was a little girl. The flavor is absolutely wonderful and everyone in the family is delighted every time I make it.
What I love about this cake is the variety of fruits you can choose for this recipe, depending on the season. Berries work great, apricots and peaches bring a wonderful flavor as well and as fall comes plums, apples and pears make a perfect choice too.
This apple meringue cake is one of the best apple desserts, the meringue has a crispy exterior while the cake is soft and apples bring such a wonderful flavor and texture, a delightful and comforting fall dessert indeed.
Apples get a crisp-tender texture so if you want really soft apples you can cook them a little on stove top with cinnamon and butter or microwave for few seconds before adding them over the cake batter.
Hope you will give it a try and enjoy it as we sure did:)
- Makes about 8-10 servings
- Cake Batter
- 1 stick (113g) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- Apple Filling
- 4-5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- Juice from half of lemon
- 1 tsp (3g) cinnamon
- 4 tbsp (30g) flour
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter 10-inch (26 cm) springform pan (with a removable base).
- Prepare the apples. In a large bowl combine the apple slices with lemon juice, cinnamon and 4 tbsp flour. Set aside until ready to use.
- Prepare the cake batter. Combine flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- In another bowl cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices on top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the meringue. Whip the egg whites until foamy with a mixer. Gradually add the sugar whipping the whole time until it holds very stiff peaks.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add whipped egg whites on top of the cake and bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown. Run a sharp knife completely around the inside edge of the pan. Let cool slightly at room temperature before serving.