Boston Cream Pie
Watch the video for this recipe:
Boston Cream Pie is a traditional dessert that is known to be firstly created at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856. Despite its name it is actually a cake, a two-layer yellow cake filled with a thick layer of pastry cream and topped with a layer of chocolate. It is a classic combination that everybody enjoy.
This cake is really easy to prepare, doesn’t need any sort of decoration except for spreading the chocolate in such a way to spill down the sides. It sets quickly after assembling and is ready to serve in less than 20 minutes.
- Makes about 8 servings
- Sponge Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 ts p (2g) salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- Pastry Cream
- 1 1/2 cup (360 ml) milk
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (24g) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (8g) flour
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15g) unsalted butter
- Chocolate Ganache
- 3.5 oz (100g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60g) cream
- Prepare the pastry cream. Whisk the egg yolks with sugar and salt until slightly pale.
- Incorporate the cornstarch and flour with ¼ cup (60ml)milk . Pour the rest of 1 ¼ cup (300ml) milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Pour about a third of the hot milk over the egg yolks mixture. Pour the whole mixture into the saucepan over the milk. Bring to a boil while stirring and thickens. Keep enough over heat to cook all the cornstarch. Add vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes then incorporate the butter while stirring. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent forming a skin on the surface. Let it cool at room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the sponge cake. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease with butter and line with parchment paper a 8 inch (20cm) round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix to combine. Incorporate eggs one at a time and add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture while alternating with milk.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let pan cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely.
- Assemble the cake. Divide cake in two and place one layer onto a serving plate. Spread evenly with pastry cream leaving about 1/2 inch (1cm) border.
- Place the other layer of cake on top.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Place cream into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit for 1 minute then stir until smooth.
- Using an offset spatula spread the ganache over the top and edges of the cake.
- Let it set for 15 minutes then serve.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.