- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts
Brussels Sprouts with chestnuts are a wonderful holiday side dish. This recipe originated from France brings a special flavor to your holiday meal. As I love both Brussel sprouts and chestnuts I could hardly wait until was done. The sweet and soft chestnuts makes a perfect combination with the crisp brussel sprouts.
- Makes about 4 servings
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts
- 250 g chestnuts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic
- 3-4 tbsp water
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mark chestnuts with an X on flat side. Bring a pan of water to the boil over medium high-heat. Drop in the chestnuts and boil for about 6-8 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Remove few chestnuts from the pan leaving the others in the water until ready to peel. Using a knife remove the shell and skin while chestnuts are still hot.
- Put the peeled chestnuts in a pan with milk and enough water to completely cover them and simmer over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Remove any yellow leaves from the Brussels sprout, trim the roots and mark an X on the underside to cook evenly.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add the Brussel Sprouts and water and cook covered over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Add the chestnuts and toss the mixture to combine and cook for a few minutes until the sprouts and chestnuts are heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot as a holiday side dish.