Cherry Puff Pastry Cake with Caramelized White Chocolate Frosting
Watch the video for this recipe:
This Cherry Puff Pastry Cake with Caramelized White Chocolate Frosting is a heavenly dessert you can prepare during the cherry season. The cake consists of two layers of rolled puff pastry sheets that are filled with fresh cherries and baked all together in a spiral, filled with a delightful caramelized white chocolate cream cheese frosting and topped with chocolate ganache and fresh cherries.
The cake is quite easy and quick to prepare but looks really impressive and everybody will be amazed about how it looks inside and mostly about its taste. The cake resembles a bit like the Russian “Monastery Hut” but it comes in a different shape, different ingredients and different frosting.
I have really loved making this cake and it is definitely such a great way to use cherries in creating a memorable dessert. The best part of this cake is that it can also be made all year round using canned cherries or even other berries. Hope you will try this cake, and let me know if you do. Enjoy!
- Makes about 10-12 servings
- Cherry Puff Pastry Layers
- 2 puff pastry sheets, (about 9 inch -250g) each), thawed
- 26 oz (750g) fresh cherries, pitted, divided in 6
- 1 small egg, beaten
- Caramelized White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 oz (200g) white chocolate, small pieces
- 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- 10 oz (300g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (360g) whipping cream (35% fat), chilled
- Chocolate Ganache Drips
- 2 oz (60g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- For Decorating
- fresh cheries
- chocolate curls
- First prepare the cherry puff pastry layers. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of two 8 or 9 inch (20-23cm) pans. Set aside.
- Unroll the first puff pastry sheet and roll it slightly with a rolling pin.
- Divide in 3 equal strips, lengthwise.
- Line about 4 oz (120g) pitted cherries over each strip of dough. Roll the dough and brush the edge with beaten egg to seal the edges. Pinch the ends and repeat with the remaining 2 strips of dough.
- In the prepared pan arrange the 3 pastry rolls into a spiral by pinching the ends. If possible leave a bit of space between lines to puff and cook better. Set aside until you prepare the second puff pastry.
- Divide the second puff pastry sheet in 3 equal strips, lengthwise.
- Repeat filling the strips with cherries, roll and arrange the 3 pastry rolls into a spiral into the second pan.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the caramelized white chocolate frosting. Reduce the oven temperature to 300F (150C). In a heatproof bowl add the white chocolate and melt over bain-marie.
- Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown and turn into crumbs. Let it cool.
- In a heat proof bowl add the caramelized white chocolate crumbs and 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream and melt over bain-marie.
- Sieve to make sure no lumps remain. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- In another bowl mix the chilled whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate into chocolate cream cheese mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Add a bit of frosting onto a serving platter. Place the first layer of cherry puff pastry.
- Spread a bit less than half of the frosting. Add the second layer of puff pastry. Spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake. Smooth the top and edges.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or even overnight.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Use a spoon and start making drips around the edges. When you finish all the drips on the edges, spread a bit of ganache over the edge of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
- Decorate the bottom of the cake with chopped chocolate. Decorate the top with fresh cherries and chocolate curls and enjoy!