Chocolate Magic Custard Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
Don’t know how many of you are familiar with Magic Custard Cake, or Smart Cake, the cake that separates into layers while baking. It is a very delicate and elegant cake, very easy to prepare that will definitely impress your friends and family.
As Valentine’s Day is fast approaching I wanted to share with you a more decadent version of this cake - Chocolate Magic Custard Cake which is absolutely amazing. The chocolate version is very intense and rich, and goes perfectly with whipped cream and fresh berries. Hope you will try this out and enjoy!
- Makes about 9 servings
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar, for egg whites
- For decorating
- sweetened whipped cream
- fresh strawberry slices
- Preheat the oven to 340F (170C). Grease and line a 8x8 inch (20x20cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix egg yolks with sugar and vanilla extract until creamy and pale yellow colored. Add melted butter and mix to incorporate. Sift flour and cocoa powder and mix to combine. Add milk and continue mixing on low speed until homogenous.
- In another bowl whip the whites with salt until foamy. Add the 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the milk and yolks mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let it cool completely in the pan and refrigerate to set for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and strawberry slices or simply dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!