Chocolate Mocha Crepe Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
If you haven’t tried a Crepe Cake by now you should definitely consider it. It is amazing how some basic, common crepes can turn into such an amazing and delightful dessert. I have shared with you an amazing White Chocolate Raspberry Crepe Cake made with classic vanilla crepes but now I wanted to share with you a chocolate version of the cake. So, here it is, a cake with layers of chocolate crepes filled with an amazing mocha and mascarpone frosting.
The recipe is very easy to prepare and requires no baking, which makes it perfect for summer days. Hope you will try this out and enjoy!
- Makes about 12-14 servings
- Chocolate Crepe Batter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (90g) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (2g) instant coffee powder
- 2 3/4 cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (80g) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (480ml) sparkling mineral water
- Mocha Mascarpone Filling
- 2 pounds (1kg) Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 2/3 cups (640g) whipping cream, chilled
- 1 1/3 cups (160g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7g) vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 tsp (7g) instant coffee powder
- Chocolate Glaze
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate
- 5 oz (140g) whipping cream
- For Decoration
- 3/4 cup (180g) whipping cream
- instant coffee powder for dusting
- crushed coffee beans
- chocolate swirls
- Prepare the chocolate crepes. In a medium bowl mix whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs with sugar and vanilla extract. Stir in milk, add flour mixture and mix well. Add the oil and sparkling mineral water and whisk until smooth.
- Heat a 9 inch (23cm) non-stick pan over medium heat. Sprinkle a teaspoon of vegetable oil or butter. Pour a small ladle of batter in the middle of the pan and with a circular move spread the batter to the edges of the pan.
- Cook the crepe until the top appears dry. Flip over and cook the other side for a few seconds.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Stack crepes when cooled completely.
- Prepare the mascarpone mocha frosting. In a large bowl mix mascarpone cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and instant coffee powder and mix to combine.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the cream into the mascarpone mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Place a bit of frosting on a serving platter and place the first crepe.
- Spread with about ¼ cup of Mascarpone frosting. Top with another crepe and spread about ¼ cup frosting. Repeat the process until all crepes are used, I’ve got about 21 crepes.
- Spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake, smooth the top and sides.
- Refrigerate the crepe cake for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Use a spoon and start making drips around the edges. If the ganache hardens too much, heat it a bit over bain-marie to get to a pouring consistency. When you finish all the drips on the edges, fill the top with ganache and spread it evenly using the offset spatula. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
- Decorate the bottom of the cake with crushed coffee beans. Decorate the top with coffee whipped cream if desired and some chocolate curls. Dust with instant coffee powder and enjoy!