- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
- Baked Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (no yeast, no eggs)
- No-Bake White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chocolate Milk Slice Cake - Kinder Chocolate Milk Slice
- No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
- Eggless Chocolate Banana Cake
Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll
Watch the video for this recipe:
I have seen this Hurricane Roll some time ago and I found it really amazing. I simply needed to try my own version of it so I’ve combined two of my favorite ingredients, chocolate and coffee.
The roll not only it has this amazing hurricane effect it is also a delightful treat, composed by a tender and moist layer of sponge filled with apricot jam and chocolate coffee ganache. The white chocolate and coffee shards bring a bit of texture and create an irresistible dessert.
The recipe is easy and quick to prepare, just make sure to follow the steps accordingly in order to get the hurricane effect. Hope you’ll try it out and enjoy!
- Makes about 8-10 servings
- Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar for yolks
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50g) caster sugar for whites
- 1/2 cup (65g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 tbsp (45g) vegetable oil (flavorless)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp (12g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (2g) instant coffee powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) hot milk
- For filling
- 3 tbsp (60g) apricot jam
- Mocha Chocolate Ganache
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate
- 3.5 fl oz (100ml) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (2g) instant coffee powder
- Chocolate shards, optional
- 1.5 oz (45g) white chocolate
- 0.5 oz (15g) white chocolate, for tempering
- instant coffee powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with parchment paper a 9x13 inch (23x33cm) pan.
- Prepare the sponge cake. In a small bowl combine the 2 tablespoons of hot milk with cocoa powder and instant coffee powder and mix until well combined.Set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla extract until creamy and light yellow colored. While mixing incorporate vegetable oil. Alternate adding milk and flour until well combined.
- Divide the yolk mixture, adding about a third (about 90g) into another bowl. Mix it with cocoa mixture.
- In a large bowl whip whites until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until soft peaks form.
- Fola a third of whipped whites to the cocoa mixture. Fold the rest of the whites to the vanilla mixture. (The batters need to be a bit runny not as stiff as to a regular sponge)
- Pour vanilla batter into prepared pan. Gently pour the cocoa batter on top and spread evenly.
- Use the end of a spoon or knife or small spatula to create horizontal lines and then vertically ones to create the hurricane effect.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and invert the cake onto a parchment paper, and cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the mocha chocolate ganache.
- Place the chocolate, coffee powder and cream into a small pan. Melt over low heat and transfer to a clean bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Trim the edges of the sponge. Spread a thin layer of apricot jam.
- Spread ganache on top.
- Roll the sponge gently using the parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile prepare chocolate shards.
- Melt 1.5 oz (45g) white chocolate over bain-marie. Remove from heat and add remaining chopped white chocolate for tempering. Stir until melted.
- Spread chocolate evenly into a thin layer on a parchment paper. Dust with instant coffee powder and refrigerate until set. Break or cut into shards and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Cut the ends of the roll and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with cocoa powder. Decorate the roll with white chocolate shards. Cut into slices and enjoy!!