Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
Few years ago I made Tres Leches Cake, a delicious cake consisting of vanilla sponge cake soaked in three types of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and whipping cream and then topped with whipped cream. I always wanted to try the chocolate version of it, and finally here it is, my take on this wonderful chocolate cake.
If you love Tres Leches Cake you should definitely try the chocolate one too. It is moist, and rich in chocolate flavor, hard not to fall in love with it. This chocolate version is made of a cocoa sponge cake, soaked in the three types of milk enriched with cocoa powder and then topped with chocolate whipped cream. Definitely a pleasure for chocolate lovers. The recipe is easy but quite impressive and I am sure everybody will be delighted. Hope you will try this out, and as always, enjoy!
- Makes about 10-12 servings
- Cocoa Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs , separated
- 2/3 cup (140g) sugar, divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3 fl oz (90ml) vegetable oil
- 3 fl oz (90ml) sparkling water
- 1 1/4 cup (160g) flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee
- Chocolate Three Milk Glaze
- 10 oz (300g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (240ml) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 6 oz (180g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cup (300g) whipping cream, chilled
- For decoration
- chopped chocolate
- fresh strawberries
- Prepare the cocoa sponge cake. Preheat the oven to 325F (165C). Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 8 inch (20 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate whites from yolks.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with 1/3 cup (70g) sugar and vanilla extract, until creamy and pale yellow colored. Gradually mix in oil and then add sparkling water. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee and baking powder over the yolk mixture and gently fold them in.
- In a large bowl mix egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup (70g) sugar.
- Continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold a spoon of whipped whites into the yolk mixture and then gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
- Prepare chocolate three milk glaze. Mix together the sweetened condensed milk with cocoa powder. Add evaporated milk and cream and mix to combine.
- Once cooled, transfer cake to a plastic wrap lined pan. Prick well the cake with a skewer.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Prepare chocolate whipped cream. Melt the 6 oz (180g) semisweet chocolate with ½ cup (120g) whipping cream over bain-marie. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip the remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- Remove the cake from the pan and invert to a serving platter. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the chocolate whipped cream. Decorate the bottom edge of the cake with some chopped chocolate.
- Transfer the remaining chocolate whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip and decorate as desired. Add fresh strawberries and sprinkle some chopped chocolate. Enjoy!