Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Coffee Cake with Meringue Topping
Posted on June 13, 2011
One delicious mouth watering dessert that remindes me of childhood. My mother used to make it all the time. Its' unique flavor is given by coffee and apricot jam.
- Makes 10 servings
- Cake Layers - 3 layers
- 150 g butter
- 2 tbsp lard
- 7 tbsp sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 500 g flour
- One cake layer, crushed
- 150 ml milk
- 30 ml vanilla coffee
- 100 g butter
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp ground walnuts
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
- 3 egg whites
- 10 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Make cake layers.In a large bowl, cream together butter, lard and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks and sour cream. Stir dry ingredients together: flour and baking powder. Gradually add into butter mixture. Split the dough in 3 pieces. Roll each piece on the back of a baking pan (12 inch x 10 inch) and bake for 10 minutes. I used smaller round pans but is easier with a rectangular pan.
- Prepare the filling. Crush one cake layer and moist with milk and coffee. Add butter, walnuts, cocoa powder apricot jam and sugar and stir until well combined.
- Assemble the cake, the 2 cake layers left and the filling between.
- Whip egg whites until foamy with a mixer. Continue whipping over bain-marie. Gradually add the sugar whipping the whole time until it holds very stiff peaks. Remove from heat and layer it over the cake. Sprinkle chocolate on top and for a more unique flavor sprinkle ground coffee.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:561, Fat:27.4 g, Saturated Fat:15.1 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0 g, Carbohydrates:71.9 g, Sugar:31.0 g, Fiber:1.8 g, Protein:8.8 g, Cholesterol:121 mg, Calories from Fat 247, Sodium 176mg, Vitamin A 15%, Calcium 9%, Vitamin C 1%, Iron 15%, Nutrition Grade C, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.