Double Chocolate Scones
Watch the video for this recipe:
What I love about scones is that they are quick to prepare, have a rustic, unpretentious look but smells and tastes absolutely amazing. The best part is they are best served warm, so there’s no need to wait for cooling completely which makes them a perfect treat for breakfast or as a snack any time of the day.
These Chocolate Scones are rich and chocolaty, with melted chocolate chips inside they almost taste like brownies, which makes them totally irresistible. So whenever you are craving chocolate or want a quick recipe to prepare for family or friends these scones might be the answer for you.
- Makes about 8 servings
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 6 tbsp (80g) butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (180g) buttermilk
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 egg, beaten
- chocolate chips/chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour with sugar, cocoa powder,instant coffee, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter cubes, and using a pastry cutter or fork cut the butter until the pieces are no bigger than peas.
- Add chocolate and toss until are coated in flour mixture.
- Combine egg with buttermilk and add over the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface. Shape into a circle of about 8 inch (20 cm) in diameter, then cut into 8 triangles.
- Transfer the scones on the baking sheet and brush with egg. Top with more chocolate chips or chunks.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to cooling rack to cool slightly. The scones are best served warm. Enjoy.