Homemade Cheese Sticks
Watch the video for this recipe:
Life is good and cheese makes it even better. These cheese sticks are a great salty snack for any occasion and even for holidays.
I have this recipe from my mother and works every time I make them. I really love them as they are buttery, crispy, with cheesy flavor and they can be made in advance with a couple of days. You can also sprinkle flax or sesame seeds on top, some paprika for more color, garlic powder for extra flavor or whatever seasoning and herbs you like best.
- Makes about 80 cheese sticks
- 1 stick (110 g) butter, cut in smaller pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) oil
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) milk
- 25 g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- 1/2 cup (50 g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp wheat bran, optional
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup (75g) Parmesan Cheese
- In a large bowl mix flour with salt, sugar and wheat bran if used. Add the butter pieces, and using a pastry cutter or fork cut the butter until the pieces are no bigger than peas.
- Add the grated cheddar cheese and just give a quick stir to combine with the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg with oil. Dissolve yeast in milk and add to egg mixture. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or two to let the yeast develop.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Split the dough in 2 pieces. Take one piece of dough and roll on the back of a 12x16 inch (30x40 cm) baking tray. Cut the edges to be straight.
- Brush the rolled dough with beaten egg. Sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese and using a dough cutter into 1/2x6 inch (1x15cm) long sticks. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden-brown.
- Repeat with the other piece of dough. Let the cheese sticks cool and keep in an airtight container for up to a week.