Sushi is perfect for a tasty and fancy dinner with your friends. There are so many options for filling the sushi rolls that you can never get bored of this meal. Served with pickled ginger, soy sauce and my favorite ingredient: wasabi makes it just perfect.
- 8 small nori-roasted seaweed sheets
- Sushi Rice
- 1 1/2 cup Sushi rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Filling options
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 cup imitation crabmeat, finely chopped
- soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger to serve
- Wash the rice and rinse thoroughly in cool water. Repeat process until water runs clear. Drain well.
- Place the rice in heavy medium pot with lid. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- Meanwhile prepare the sushi vinegar by mixing rice vinegar with sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the rice from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes. Place the rice in nonmetallic bowl, add rice vinegar and gently fold in to combine while rice is still hot. Allow to cool slightly before continuing with sushi recipes.
- Place a sheet of nori over a bamboo mat. Spread the sushi rice evenly over 2/3 of the sheets leaving 1 inch open towards you. Sprinkle sesame seeds over its surface. Place cream cheese, imitation crab meat and avocado across the middle of the rice. (or simply carrots or other vegetables).
- Roll the mat lightly by holding it with your thumbs and the ingredients with your fingers. Gently pull the mat as you go to create a firm roll. Continue rolling until all the rice is covered with the nori.
- Remove the mat, straighten both ends of the roll and slice into six to eight pieces. Arrange sushi on a serving platter and serve with soy sauce , pickled ginger and wasabi. Have fun!