- Easy Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Starter from Scratch
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Bread - 4 Ingredient Bread
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie
- Tortilla de Patatas - Spanish Omelette - Tortilla Española
- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
Orange Poppy Seed Cake
Orange Poppy Seed Cake - Rich and moist, full of citrus flavor and enough poppy seeds to satisfy a poppy seed lover.
The buttery base is so soft almost melting in your mouth. The poppy seed layer is light, a great combination with the soft cake and oranges.
- Makes 10-12 servings
- Cake Base
- 1 1/4 sticks (150 g )butter
- 12 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Poppy Seed Cream
- 9 oz (250 g) ground poppy seeds
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 3 tbsp (50 g) butter
- 10 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp apricot jam - between layers
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- For the cake base use a medium bowl and mix all ingredients until well blended and results a moist,sticky dough. Pur it into a 10-inch (26 cm) spring form pan (with a removable base). Add a layer of apricot jam on top of the cake base.
- Poppy seed cream. Bring milk and poppy seeds to a boil and stir occasionally until all the milk is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let it cool. Meanwhile whip the egg whites until foamy. Add butter, sugar, baking powder,flour, orange zest and vanilla extract to the poppy seed mixture until well blended. Fold in gently the whites into the poppy seed mixture.
- Pour the poppy seed mixture over the prepared base and jam. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve with supreme orange slices.