Potato Crusted Sea Bass with Lemon Sauce
Watch the video for this recipe:
While in Rome we had the chance to enjoy some of the Italian dishes and among them we’ve tried a potato crusted fish fillet which I found very delicious.
I really wanted to share the recipe with you as it is quite easy and can make a great idea for lunch or dinner. Potatoes and fish have always made a good match, this flaky tender fish with crispy potato crust is one of the best ways to serve them. When I reached home I had to prepare this for my daughters and they loved it a lot as well. Instead of the classic lemon wedge alongside I paired the fish with a lemon sauce that I really love, its strong lemon flavor and smooth texture is simply wonderful.
I’ve used sea bass fillets but any other fish fillets work as well. Hope you’ll try it out and enjoy!
- Makes 2-4 servings
- For the Fish
- 20 oz (600g) potatoes
- 2 tbsp (about 4g) chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 2 tbsp (28g) grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter
- 2 sea bass fillets - (about 6 oz-a170g each)
- Salt and Pepper
- Lemon Sauce
- peel from 5 lemons
- 1/4 cup (56ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
- Prepare the lemon sauce. Wash the lemons and peel them. We only need the yellow peel without the white pith as much as possible.
- In a small saucepan bring water to a boil. Only when the water is boiling add lemon peels and let them boil for 2 minutes. Drain and repeat this step for 5 or 6 times. It is important to repeat this step as it reduces the bitterness and removes the wax found on the lemon peels if any.
- Let the lemon peel cool slightly and then place them in the bowl of the blender. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar and water.
- Process for a couple of minutes until well blended and smooth.
- Sieve the sauce, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The sauce can be stored refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- Prepare the fish. Remove skin of the fillets if any. Cut fillets in two if too big to handle. Season each with salt and pepper.
- Peel the potatoes and grate using the big holes of the grater.
- Transfer the potatoes into a kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid as you possible can.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl. Add chives, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a non-stick pan heat 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil (or any other flavorless vegetable oil) and 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Spread some potato mixture into the pan about the size of the fish fillet. Add fish fillet on top and cover with potato mixture. Press with the spoon slightly. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and fish is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining fish fillets.
- Serve the potato crusted fish with lemon sauce and your favorite vegetables. Enjoy!