- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Potato Plum Dumplings
Potato dumplings stuffed with sweet plums and rolled in toasted breadcrumbs are a delightful dessert.
It is a traditional Eastern European recipe that reminds me a lot of childhood as both my grandmother and my mother used to make them pretty often every fall.
These potato plum dumplings are usually made with fresh dark plums but works as well with the dried ones. Can be served warm sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar but are still good once they are chilled.
- Makes about 65-70 dumplings
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- dry plums
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- Boil the potatoes with their skin on, until soft. Peel them and mash them well, you can also use a grater. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile in a medium frying pan mix well breadcrumbs with oil and cook on low-medium heat until golden brown. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When cool enough stir in sugar and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl mix the mashed potatoes with egg, butter and flour until they bind together. knead until a smooth, sticky dough is formed.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Take a walnut size of the potato dough and form small balls after inserting one dry plum in the middle of each.
- Put the dumplings into the hot water. Let the dumplings boil until they come to the surface of the water. Let them boil on the surface another 2 more minutes and they are done. Remove the dumplings with a perforated spoon and roll them in breadcrumbs mixture.
- Sprinkle the rest of breadcrumbs mixture or sugar over the dumplings and serve hot or cold.