Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Watch the video for this recipe:
Stuffing is one of the essential side dishes in the Thanksgiving meal. This version combines in the classic recipe, shiitake mushrooms, which impart an irresistible earthy, garlicky aroma rounded with umami notes and spinach ( a good excuse for incorporating more leafy veggies in a rich menu).
The end result is crusty on the outside, moist on the inside, delicious dish with flavors that pair well with any other sides you choose to serve for your feast.
- Makes about 8-10 servings
- 1 large loaf bread (about 28oz - 800g), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp (56g) butter, for cooking onion
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/3 cups (150g) celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
- 3 oz (90g) baby spinach
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter for cooking mushrooms
- 9 oz (250g) of sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp sage leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground caraway seeds
- Let the bread cubes uncovered to dry out completely overnight or dry them in the oven at 350F (180C) for 10-15 min ( make sure they do not brown).
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add onions and celery. Cook for about 6 minutes, add garlic and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour white wine and let it cook until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add spinach leaves and let them wilt.
- In a separate skillet cook the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter until beautifully browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190C). Brush a 2 1/2-quart (2,5 liters) baking dish with butter.
- In a large bowl mix bread cubes with celery onion and spinach mix , add shiitake mushrooms and chopped herbs.
- Mix 3 eggs with chicken stock and slowly pour over bread until stuffing feels moist but not soggy.
- Transfer the stuffing to the baking dish cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes until browned on top and fully cooked on the inside.