- Veggie Burgers - Sweet Potato Burger Patties
- Double Chocolate Rum Cookies
- Pistachio Raspberry Lime Mousse Cake
- Christmas Wreath - Christmas Braided Bread
- Christmas Chocolate Cookie Cups
- Gingerbread Orange Cake Roll
- Cranberry Pistachio Fudge without Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Triple Chocolate Cranberry Mousse Cake
Stovetop Apple Upside Down Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
Did you know that you can actually bake cakes without turning on the oven? Yes.. you can definitely use your stovetop. This amazingly delicious apple upside down cake is baked on a stovetop and is ready in less than 30 minutes. It is either because you don’t have an oven or you just don’t want to turn the oven on or maybe the oven is occupied with other dishes, baking the cake on stovetop can be a great choice for whenever you want to prepare a baked dessert for your loved ones.
With its caramelized apple slices on top and its soft cake, this cinnamon and lemon flavored cake is absolutely irresistible. You simply couldn’t say it is made in a frying pan on the stovetop.
The recipe is really easy and quick to prepare and you can always use other fruits like nectarines, peaches, plums or pears instead of apples.
I recommend you to serve this cake slightly warm with a good dollop of ice cream or whipped cream for an amazing experience. Hope you will try this cake, and let me know if you do. Enjoy!
- Makes about 4 servings
- 2 small apples (10 oz- 300g), peeled, cored
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground cinnamon
- Cake batter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- zest of a lemon
- 1/4 cup (56g) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30g) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp (6g) baking powder
- 2/3 cup (85g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- First prepare the batter. In a medium mixing bowl rub sugar and lemon zest together to release oil. Add eggs and mix until creamy. Add oil and mix to combine. Add plain yogurt and vanilla extract and mix to incorporate.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix to combine. Set aside until you prepare the apples.
- Prepare the apples. Cut peeled and cored apples into ¼ inch (6mm) thick slices.
- Place a 9 inch (23cm) frying pan over medium heat. Add butter and let it melt.
- Add sugar and continue cooking until sugar is dissolved and gets a caramel color.
- Remove from heat and arrange apple slices on top of the caramel. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the apples.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the apples and place over low heat. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert onto a serving platter.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream on top.