Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes
Watch the video for this recipe:
Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes are one of the best summer cupcakes ever. Fruity and refreshing, with a moist crumb, a delicious homemade strawberry filling and a creamy lemon and strawberry swirl frosting.
The lemon flavor is quite intense, as it is found in the crumb, filling and frosting as well. Lemon pairs really well in strawberry desserts but if for some reason you want to leave it out simply use vanilla or any other flavor instead.
The swirl effect on top is really impressive and easy to achieve. Though it takes a bit of time, the recipe is easy to prepare, and if scheduled, strawberry filling and the lemon cupcakes can be made in advance. All that remain is to decorate the cake with the desired frosting. Enjoy!
Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting
Double Chocolate Muffins
- Makes 12 cupcakes
- Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 stick (113g) butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- zest from 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice - from 1 or 2 lemons
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- Strawberry Jam
- 10 oz (300g) strawberries
- 1/3 cup (67g) sugar
- juice from half of lemon
- 1 tsp (4g) cornstarch
- Lemon and Strawberry Frosting
- 9 oz (250g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 9 oz (250g) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) strawberry jam
- Red food coloring, optional
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Prepare the lemon cupcakes. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix to combine. Mix in sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Scoop batter evenly among liners, about 2/3 full each. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the strawberry jam. The jam can also be made a day or two before to save time and refrigerate until ready to use. In a small saucepan put the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the mixture is thick, for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.
- Prepare the lemon and strawberry frosting. In a large bowl add cream cheese and mascarpone. Mix until soft. Add powdered sugar and mix until well combined. Divide mixture in two.
- In one half add lemon zest for the lemon frosting. In the other half add 2 tbsp strawberry jam and red food coloring if used.
- Transfer each frosting into a piping bag and place both piping bags into another piping bag fitted with the desired tip and decorate the cupcakes.
- Serve or refrigerate the cupcakes until ready to serve.