Toscana soup is one of the most appreciated and flavorful soup around the world. It is spicy, flavorful and goes so well garnished with fresh lettuce or kale.
It is made with spicy sausage, a lot of garlic, red peppers and potatoes vegetable or chicken stock and sour cream. A comforting dish perfect for cold days.
We really love Toscana soup, especially when served with homemade crusty bread.
- Makes about 8 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 or 4 spicy Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 liter vegetable stock
- 1 small red chili pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kg (2 pounds) potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 200 g sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sliced kale or lettuce
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and sausages and cook for another 5 minutes. Add red pepper and saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and chili pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and bring to simmer until tender. Mix sour cream with egg yolk and add to soup and simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour the hot soup into warmed bowls and garnish with kale or lettuce. Serve with homemade bread.