- Easy Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Starter from Scratch
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Homemade Bread - 4 Ingredient Bread
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie
- Tortilla de Patatas - Spanish Omelette - Tortilla Española
- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
Walnut Cabbage Rolls
Walnut cabbage rolls - a rich, delicious recipe, perfect for cold autumn or winter days. A rice mixture with onions, walnuts, carrots and a lot of fresh dill wrapped in cabbage leaves. Everything cooked in tomato juice, the smell while baking is wonderful. Served warm with sour cream on top makes such a delicious comforting dish.
They are usually made with grounded meat but they are absolutely amazing with walnuts instead of meat. That was the reason that made me prepare them for the first time in my kitchen and will definitely make them again. Everybody loved them, even my two picky daughters.
In my family cabbage rolls are always served at holiday tables or at most of our family gatherings. They can be made in advance and freeze until ready to serve.
I so hope I convinced you to give it a try as I am sure you won't regret, not a bit.
- Makes about 33-35 rolls
- 2 small cabbages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh dill
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, puree
- 500-600 ml water
- Remove core from cabbages. Separate the leaves that can be removed and put them into boiling salted water. Cover and cook until tender. Drain well. Add the rest of the cabbages in the boiled water. and cook until tender. Separate into leaves. Remove the thick veins from cabbage leaves for easier rolling and set aside. Chop any leftover cabbage and set aside.
- In a frying pan heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the carrot and red pepper and saute for another few minutes then stir in paprika. Remove from heat. Stir in rice, ground walnuts, fresh dill, salt and pepper. When cooled enough stir in the egg.
- Place half of the leftover chopped cabbage into a pot and put fresh chopped dill and thyme leaves on top of them. Start making the rolls. Place 1/2 to 1 tbsp of mixture on the center of each leaf. Fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Add rolls over the chopped cabbage and continue until all mixture is done. Put the rest of the chopped cabbage on top of the rolls.
- Mix the pureed tomatoes with water an pour all over the surface of the rolls. Put slices of tomato on top. Cover the pot and cook at medium-low temperature until they start to boil. Then reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
- Serve warm with sour cream on top.