Toscana Soup, also known as Zuppa Toscana is one of the most appreciated soups around the world. It is a hearty and flavorful soup hailing from the Tuscany region of Italy. It is spicy, flavorful and very comforting, a satisfying meal perfect for cold winter days.
One of the main ingredients of Toscana Soup is Italian sausage, which adds a nice spicy kick to the soup. The other ingredients include potatoes, kale, onions, and garlic. These ingredients are sautéed in olive oil before adding the vegetable stock, which helps to bring out their flavors and aromas.
How to make Toscana Soup
First, heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and sausages and cook for another 5 minutes. Now you can add the red pepper and saute for 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock and chili pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add potatoes and bring to simmer until the potatoes are tender. Mix sour cream with egg yolk, add to the soup and simmer for 1 minute. Serve the soup into warmed bowls and serve with kale or lettuce, Parmesan and crusty bread.
I like to add some sour cream to the soup, but you can also use heavy cream, it gives a nice creamy texture.
This soup is one of my family favorites, my daughters are really delighted each time I prepare it for lunch or dinner.
I really hope you will try this amazing Toscana Soup. It is easy to make, budget friendly and is perfect for any season. Tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy as much as we did!
OTHER SOUPS YOU MAY LIKE:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 or 4 spicy Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 ½ liter vegetable stock
- 1 small red chili pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds (1kg) potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 7 oz (200g) sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sliced kale or lettuce
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and sausages and cook for another 5 minutes. Add red pepper and saute for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock and chili pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and bring to simmer until tender. Mix sour cream with egg yolk and add to soup and simmer for 1 minute.
- Pour the hot soup into warmed bowls and garnish with kale or lettuce. Serve with homemade bread.