Have you ever tried making homemade graham crackers? I did only recently and for me, there is no turning back. These crackers are better than any store-bought ones. They can make a great snack or breakfast alongside some yogurt, milk, chocolate spreads, or fruits. These crackers are also perfect for making delicious graham cracker crusts for various desserts like cheesecakes, tarts and no bake-desserts. They can also make a great treat for kids’ lunch boxes or as an after-school snack.
How to make graham crackers.
The recipe for these crackers is easy and quite straightforward. First, you have to mix the dry ingredients together into a bowl. In another bowl mix the butter, with sugar and honey until creamy. Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients and the dough is ready to be rolled. Divide the dough into two equal pieces for easier rolling.
Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle between sheets of parchment paper, trim the edges and cut in smaller rectangles. Prick them with a fork and freeze for about 20 minutes before baking. Bake until deep golden brown and let cool completely before serving.
The crackers are not too sweet, as it uses quite a small amount of sugar. As honey is also added to this recipe there is no need for adding more sugar. The cinnamon and cloves bring a wonderful flavor and while baking the house is filled with an amazing smell. I will be making these again and again maybe even several batches and freeze some for later.
For this recipe, you can easily let the kids involve in the process of making. Making homemade graham crackers was a fun activity to make with my little daughters, as they enjoyed pricking all the crackers using a fork.
Hope you will try them out and see how easy and delicious these crackers can be.
Homemade Graham Crackers
- 2 cups (250g) whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (6g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground cloves
- 1 cup (220g) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) honey
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).
- In a medium bowl combine flours, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- In another bowl, mix the butter with sugar and honey until fluffy.
- With mixer speed to low incorporate the flour mixture and mix until combined. If necessary use your hands to form a dough. Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Place one piece of dough onto a parchment paper. Cover with another parchment paper and start rolling the dough into a rectangle of about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick.
- Remove the parchment paper on top and using a pastry cutter cut the edges to form a perfect rectangle and then cut into smaller rectangles (about ( 2 X 5 inches – 5 X 12 cm ). Prick crackers using a fork. Slide the parchment paper into a baking sheet. Refrigerate or freeze for 20 minutes to get firm before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until dark golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer crackers to wire racks to cool completely.
- Crackers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 3-5 days.