Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Breakfast Cookies
Watch the video for this recipe:
Ever since my girls started kindergarten I am trying to come up with quick breakfast ideas. These are probably one of the healthiest breakfast cookies you can ever get as they are full of nutrients. I gathered a lot of healthy ingredients like cereals, walnuts, raisins, seeds, banana, yogurt and eggs.
These oatmeal banana chocolate breakfast cookies are really delicious, flavorful and have a great texture. This recipe uses no butter but used some coconut oil instead, which is known to have a lot of healthy benefits.
Oatmeal banana chocolate breakfast cookies are not too sweet, I used a small amount of brown sugar and mostly let the raisins, banana and chocolate to work as sweetener. You can replace sugar anytime with any other sweetener like agave nectar, honey, Stevie etc. if that suits you better.
You can make these breakfast cookies one day in advance and have them ready for the next morning. As I added chocolate chunks my daughters simply loved them all day round. I would say it's one of the best snacks over the day and on the road. I like to serve them alongside a cup of milk or some yogurt or simply as they are.
- Makes about 32 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (100g) nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds or hazelnuts), chopped
- 1/4 cup (20g) shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp (20g) sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp (20g) flax seeds
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar, packed
- 4 oz (120g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (70g) raisins
- Freshly grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 large banana
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (45ml) canola/coconut oil
- 2/3 cup (160g) plain yogurt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients: oats, nuts, shredded coconut, sunflower and flax seeds.
Add brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, chocolate and lemon zest.
In a small bowl puree the banana using a fork. Add egg, coconut or canola oil and yogurt. Stir to combine.
Add wet ingredients over the dry mixture and mix until well combined.
Scoop mixture onto prepared cookie sheets. Slightly flatten the tops into desired thickness as they will not spread in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool on a cool rack before serving.