Though I am not the biggest fan of creamy soups this roasted tomato and red pepper soup totally conquered me and my family lately. It is a creamy comforting summer soup, full of flavor, served with cheese toasts that makes it really irresistible.
Roasting the vegetables enhances their flavor, bringing the best out of them. It is one of the best recipes you can try for tomato season to enjoy their sweet summery flavor. The recipe for this Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup is very easy, and makes a great idea for appetizer or simply as a light dinner. Enjoy!
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- 2 ¼ pounds (1kg) tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic head (7-8 garlic cloves) , skin on
- olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (480ml) chicken stock
- Fresh basil
- 1 tsp (1g) dried oregano
- 1 baguette
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese , grated
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters, red pepper into chunky pieces, onion into wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Add the garlic cloves leaving the skin on.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Leave the oven on to prepare the cheese toasts.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables with the juice into the bowl of a blender. Squeeze in the garlic flesh and add fresh or dried basil and oregano.
- Blend until smooth. Pour the soup into a pot and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile prepare the cheese toasts. Cut the baguette into slices and place the slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle or spray each slice with olive oil. Spread grated cheese on top. Season with garlic powder and dried oregano. Bake at 400F (200C) oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve the soup warm, decorate with cream and basil leaves and serve with cheese toasts. Enjoy!