A tomato basil tart is one of the best ways to enjoy the summer flavorful tomatoes and fresh herbs. All year we’ve been waiting for the tomato season, with it’s wonderful smell and taste. Tomatoes are definitely the star in this recipe, as they bring out the best of them.
The recipe can be made either for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s easy to prepare and tastes like summer. What better way to enjoy tomatoes than pairing with cheese, herbs and a puff pastry crust. By far one of the best savory summer tarts ever.
This tomato basil tart is best served warm, topped with fresh basil alongside a fresh salad. Give it a try, it’s simply wonderful.
Mini Tarts with Chicken
Margherita Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
Recipe slightly adapted after BBC GoodFood
Tomato Basil Tart
- 1 sheet (400 g) puff pastry , thawed
- 4 tbsp (60g) cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp fresh basil , chopped
- 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 cup (100g) Mozzarella cheese , grated
- 4 medium tomatoes , sliced in about 1/4 inch slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F ( 200C).
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 “ (6 mm) slices and place on paper towels to drain for about 15-20 minutes. Cover with paper towels as well.
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, Dijon mustard, garlic, basil and Parmesan cheese.
- On a floured surface roll the puff pastry dough into a rectangle of 12×14 inches (30X35cm). Transfer the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Prick pastry all over with fork but not up to the edges, as you leave about 1 inch as a border.
- Spread the cheese mixture on puff pastry on a thin layer. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese evenly on top.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the crust is golden, cheese melted and tomatoes cooked.
- Sprinkle fresh basil on top and serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
I love tomato and basil tarts! And with a puff pastry crust??? Yours looks amazing!!
What a gorgeous tart Ella. Love the flaky pastry with all those different types of cheese. Its perfect for a barbecue or as an entree. Love it!
This tart looks so good! I love tomato and basil on everything during the summer, so I would gobble this right up.
Looks so tasty Ella! I love tomatoes and basil and it’s the perfect season for both!
This tomato basil tart looks absolutely amazing. Ella! I am so going to make it ASAP! 🙂
I love tarts..I would just add a couple of olive, but that is my personal taste ( I can eat olives on anything)
Thanks for sharing
Yes.. olives would be great too:) you can play with your tart any way you like.. just take this as in inspiration:)
Looks wonderful. I think I’ll give it a try. I’m not a fan of Dijon mustard. If I took it out, the tart might end up tasting flat. Is there something else you think would make a flavorful substitute that blends with the rest of the ingredients?
Anything you like.. you can top it with olives..use thyme.. whatever you like best.
i made it. It’s heavenly delicious. Highly recommended. Thank you for the recipe.
So glad you enjoyed this recipe too 🙂
I tried it and it was delicious ! Everyone loved it ! Thanks
So happy to hear that:) Fresh summer tomatoes are the best
Can I use homemade puff pastry dough instead of store bought? Thanks for all the great recipes!
Of course it's even better. The taste is amazing with homemade puff pastry:)
Would it be nicer to just cut smaller tomatoes in half and pop them on so they go sun dried almost? Just an idea… I haven’t tried this yet but i will do! What other spices or herbs would you recommend?