Tabouli Salad either known as tabbouli or tabbouleh is a delicious Lebanese salad known worldwide. It is a healthy, light salad made with bulgur wheat, ripe tomatoes, fresh parsley, fresh mint, green onions and drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil. The main role is played by fresh flat parsley. So don’t try to use less parsley, it is the star of this salad.
Tabouli is best served chilled, as a side dish alongside falafel or hummus, with pita bread or as we did with pita bread chips. Wrapped in lettuce leaves makes a wonderful and colorful appetizer.
Tabouli salad is so easy to prepare and so fresh and flavorful, the mint and parsley are making such a good combination. You may use more or less lemon juice according to your tastes, I suggest to add the dressing gradually and see for yourself what quantities work best for you. Give it a try, it is a wonderful salad 🙂
Recipe slightly adapted after thePerfectPantry
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup hot boiled water
- 1/2 cup (about 1 bunch) parsley , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint , chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes , diced
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon , optional
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- juice from half of lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place the bulgur in a bowl. Add hot water over it. Let the bulgur soak for about 10-15 minutes. It will be tender but still keep a bit of crunch. Seive if necessary. Transfer the soaked bulgur in a larger bowl.
- Chop the parsley and mint and add over the bulgur.
- Add diced tomatoes and chopped onion. Add salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the lime juice, oil and pepper and whisk well.
- Pour the dressing over the tabouli and stir well. Season with more salt if necessary.
- Chill for about 2 or 3 hours before serving. Serve with falafel, pita bread, hummus or wrapped in lettuce leaves.