Making baked scotch eggs is really not as hard as some may think and makes such a great dish for either breakfast or any other part of the day. They can be a great picnic dish or party snack as well. Can be made in various sizes using either chicken eggs or smaller quail eggs. The classic scotch eggs are deep fried but baking them makes them a bit healthier and they turn out really well.
For this dish it is very important to use a good quality sausage meat as is one of the main ingredients. I have coated the scotch eggs with both bread crumbs and cornflakes and I really enjoyed the cornflakes ones. Feel free to choose the coating that you best like. These baked scotch eggs look and taste amazing and are best served warm with your favorite dipping sauce, pickles or cheese.
Shakshuka -Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Twice Baked Potato with Egg on Top
Recipe slightly adapted after JamieOliver
Baked Scotch Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1 pound (450g) good quality sausage meat , casing removed
- 1/2 tsp (2g) nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5g) mustard
- 1/4 cup (14g) parsley
- 1/2 cup (14g) chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs , beaten
- Bread crumbs or crushed cornflakes
- Put the eggs into a medium pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 4 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of ice cold water. Peel them when cooled.
- In a medium bowl combine sausage meat with nutmeg, mustard, parsley, chives, salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into four parts.
- Take one piece of sausage mixture, form a ball and flatten into a patty. Roll the egg in flour and shape the sausage patty around egg. Repeat this step with the rest of the eggs.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Roll each meat wrapped egg into flour, then dip into beaten eggs and coat with either breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes until sausage is completely cooked.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
This looks really delicious. I do it slightly different though.
I freeze the eggs the day before and then peel them and wrap them in the meat.
That way they will cook in the oven and the flavors of the meat and eggs will mingle during cooking.