This Chickpea Salad is a great and easy vegetarian salad recipe that I discovered recently and since then I keep doing it. It is delicious, somehow similar to the tuna salad but a healthier version. You can definitely make variations to this chickpea salad recipe, adjust it according to your tastes, add any other seeds or add some lemon juice, use yogurt instead of mayo, in any case it is delicious, flavorful, healthy and nutritious.
This chickpea salad makes a perfect lunch during the summer days as you don’t need to cook anything just serve it as it is on crackers, pita bread chips, toast bread, wraps and the list can continue according to your preference.
- 2 cups chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (no shell)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt , or more if needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 organic egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/4 cup cold pressed sunflower oil
- Place the rinsed chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and mix just a few to achieve a chunky consistency. No need for full mash. In case you don't have a food processor you can use a potato masher or even a fork.
- In a medium bowl combine chickpeas with onions, garlic, red pepper, seeds, salt and pepper.
- Make the homemade mayonnaise. Put the egg yolk and the mustard in a small bowl. Mix and gradually add oil while mixing until all oil is well incorporated.
- Add mayonnaise over the chickpea salad and stir to combine.