This Chickpea Salad is a great and easy vegetarian salad recipe that I discovered recently and since then I keep doing it. It is delicious, somehow similar to the tuna salad but a healthier version. You can definitely make variations to this chickpea salad recipe, adjust it according to your tastes, add any other seeds or add some lemon juice, use yogurt instead of mayo, in any case it is delicious, flavorful, healthy and nutritious.
This chickpea salad makes a perfect lunch during the summer days as you don’t need to cook anything just serve it as it is on crackers, pita bread chips, toast bread, wraps and the list can continue according to your preference.
- 2 cups chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (no shell)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt , or more if needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 organic egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/4 cup cold pressed sunflower oil
- Place the rinsed chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and mix just a few to achieve a chunky consistency. No need for full mash. In case you don't have a food processor you can use a potato masher or even a fork.
- In a medium bowl combine chickpeas with onions, garlic, red pepper, seeds, salt and pepper.
- Make the homemade mayonnaise. Put the egg yolk and the mustard in a small bowl. Mix and gradually add oil while mixing until all oil is well incorporated.
- Add mayonnaise over the chickpea salad and stir to combine.
- Serve with pita chips, crackers, toast bread, wraps or whatever else you prefer. I've made Pita Bread Chips, recipe here, but this time I've made them with no oil, just sprinkled some paprika on top of chips.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
WOW. Beautiful looking post, I love the recipe and the format you use. I will try this one!
Thank you for your appreciation, let me know if you liked it:)
A healthy anf scrumptious salad! I love it.
What a healthy salad! I like that we can eat with chips!
What a gorgeous recipe, I love chick peas 🙂
The whole thing is one serving?
No, right under the Ingredients I specified about 4 servings. Hope you will try it, we really love this recipe.
Oops! Sorry, my mistake. I am trying it tonight, but I would prefer not to use real mayo, i.e. I use Smart Balance mayo. Would you have a suggestion for amount to use? Thank you!
About 2 or 3 tbsp should be enough, just to make them stick together a little to be able to handle it.
This looks so yummy! Can this be made 24 hrs in advance? You prefer dry chickpeas, but I need to save time and would prefer canned. How will that affect the final product?
Sorry for the late answer, we are in a small vacation with our daughters. You can definitely use canned chickpeas.. it won't affect you final product, and yes.. you can make with 24 hrs in advance. This is how I do it too sometimes.. it is delicious.
This recipe looks delicious even without trying it. I do not have sunflower oil. I am thinking of using olive oil or grapeseed oil. Have you tried the recipe with either one? Thank you.
It is ok to use any other oil.