- Chocolate Norwegian Cake - Chocolate Verdens Beste
- Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
- Baked Mini Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (no yeast, no eggs)
- No-Bake White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
- Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chocolate Milk Slice Cake - Kinder Chocolate Milk Slice
- No-bake Berry Lemon Yogurt Mousse Cake
Angel Food Cake
Watch the video for this recipe:
Angel Food Cake is a delightful airy cake, fluffy like a cloud, with a white light crumb and a golden crisp crust that is simply amazing. It pairs well with fresh berries and a bit of whipped cream or ice cream on the side.
The cake is fat free as it uses only the egg whites, no egg yolks and no other kind of fat is used. The recipe has few ingredients and the only rising agent here is the whipped whites. Therefore for this recipe is very important to make sure when separating the eggs no yolk gets inside in order to whip well. Cream of tartar is also used to help stabilize the whites.
The cake is baked in an ungreased tube pan to help it climb on the sides of the pan. After removing it from the oven it is immediately inverted with the pan, until cooled completely. This helps to maintain its shape and volume.
The Angel Food Cake recipe is quick and easy and can be a great choice for whenever you have leftover whites. Hope you’ll try it out. Enjoy!
- Makes about 10 servings
- 1 1/4 cups (300g) egg whites (from about 10 large eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) fine sugar, divided
- 1 cup (120g) cake flour
- 1 1/4 tsp (5g) cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (3g) almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).
- Sift together the cake flour with 1 cup (200g) of sugar. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl, and whip on medium-high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, salt, vanilla and almond extract.
- Continue whipping until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup (100g) of sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually sift in the flour sugar mixture and fold in after each addition.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 10 inch (25cm) tube pan with removable bottom.
- Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Invert pan immediately. Let cool completely for about 1-2 hours.
- Remove the cake from the pan and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
- Slice using a serrated knife and serve with fresh berries and whipped cream.