Walnut Lemon Bars
Watch the video for this recipe:
I have always found these walnut lemon bars quite elegant and with a delicate flavor combination. Pairing chocolate with lemon and walnuts is by far one of the best combinations.
These bars are made with a walnut dense layer at the bottom followed by a lemony creamy layer in the middle and topped with chocolate ganache.
These walnut lemon bars remind me a lot of childhood as we used to make this recipe almost every year for Easter or Christmas. I wanted to share it with you too as Easter is approaching and I find this recipe quite refreshing and perfect for welcoming spring.
- Makes about 9-12 servings
- Walnut Layer
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (50g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (75g) ground walnuts
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 3 egg whites
- zest of a lemon
- Lemon Layer
- 3 egg yolks
- zest of a lemon
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- Chocolate Ganache
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Slightly grease a 8x8 inch (20x20cm) square pan and line with parchment paper, in such a way that some edges overhang to make it easy to lift it up once it's set.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until creamy. Add walnuts, lemon zest and flour and mix well.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Whip egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add 2 tbsp of sugar and whip until stiff peaks. Fold in egg whites into walnut mixture.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix egg yolks with sugar and lemon zest until thick, creamy and pale yellow colored.
- Remove the walnut base from the oven and add yolks mixture on top of the cake and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Let it cool.
- Prepare chocolate ganache. Heat the cream in a small saucepan. When the cream just begins to boil at the edges, remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let sit one minute, then stir until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate ganache on top of the cake. Let it set before serving.