Whenever you are craving a refreshing dessert I suggest you try these lemon bars. They are made with a very flavorful and tangy lemon filling on top of a rich, buttery shortbread crust. If you like lemon desserts you will definitely love these bars.
The recipe is very easy to prepare, takes no more than 15 minutes to put all ingredients together. Make sure you press well the crust into the bottom and edges of the pan so no filling gets under the crust. Also, it is important to let the cake cool and set before cutting it into squares. These bars are best to be served the day they are made to enjoy their perfect texture, crispy crust, and a perfect combination of the sweet and tart lemon filling. They keep well refrigerated for up to one week.
Recipe adapted after ThePionneerWoman
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 cup (226g) chilled unsalted butter , cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ cup (300g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (32g) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp (12g) lemon zest , from about 4 medium lemons
- 2/3 cup (160g) lemon juice , from about 4 medium lemons
For sifting the top
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease with butter a 9X13 inches (23x33cm) baking pan. Line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the crust. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and using a pastry blender or simply a fork cut in the butter until crumbles are formed.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom and edges of the prepared baking pan using your fingers and back of a spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. In a large bowl whisk the sugar with flour. Whisk in the eggs and add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the prepared crust and bake for another 20 minutes until set.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature and if possible refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
- Sift powdered sugar on top and cut into bars using a hot knife.