Ding Dong cake is a delightful dessert that is sure to impress. It is rich, decadent, and indulgent, making it the perfect treat for any special occasion or simply to satisfy your sweet tooth. It consists of two layers of rich and moist chocolate cake that is filled with a creamy and fluffy vanilla custard cream filling, then topped with a smooth and rich chocolate ganache. Whether you are a chocolate lover or not, this cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and leave everyone wanting more.
How to prepare Ding Dong Cake
The recipe for this cake is really easy and quite quick to prepare. First, prepare the chocolate cake layers and vanilla pastry cream.
Prepare the moist chocolate cake layers for Ding Dong Cake
For this, you don’t even need a stand mixer or hand mixer. You simply need a whisk and a large bowl. Whisk together the egg with sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the buttermilk and whisk well to combine. Add the dry ingredients and the hot coffee and mix until well incorporated. The consistency of this batter is quite runny and results in a moist and rich chocolate cake. If you don’t want to use hot coffee you can replace it with hot water, though I highly recommend using coffee as it enhances the chocolate flavor.
Divide the batter evenly into two 8-inch greased pans and cook for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Prepare the vanilla pastry cream
While the cake layers are baking, you can prepare the vanilla pastry cream so it has time to cool before preparing the filling. For this, you have to mix the egg yolks with sugar, salt, flour, and cornstarch. Bring the milk to a simmer and gradually pour over the egg yolk mixture. Return to heat and cook until thickens. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature.
Soak gelatin powder in cold water and dissolve over low heat. Pour the gelatine over the vanilla pastry cream and mix to combine. Gently fold in the whipped cream. Now you can assemble the cake.
Assemble the Ding Dong cake
For assembling turn the cake onto a serving platter and place a cake ring around it. I like to line my cake ring with an acetate sheet for easier removal. Pour the vanilla filling and smooth the top. Add the second layer of chocolate cake and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or even overnight to set.
Prepare the ganache by melting high-quality chocolate with whipping cream and spread evenly on top of the cake. This chocolate ganache is creating a velvety and luxurious topping that will make your taste buds sing. It adds an extra layer of richness and depth to the cake, making it a truly indulgent dessert.
Refrigerate the cake to set the ganache for about 30 minutes. The combination of these flavors and textures is simply irresistible. Decorate the cake as desired and enjoy.
One of the best things about Ding Dong cake is its versatility. You can make it in different sizes and shapes. You can also play with the flavors by adding different extracts, spices, or even fruits. Also, you can even switch up the filling by adding different flavors of cream.
I would love for you to try this recipe and taste for yourself just how delicious it is. It is easy to make and perfect for any special occasion or just as a treat for yourself. If you do, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turned out for you.
Other Chocolate Layer Cakes you may like
If you are in search of chocolate layer cakes you may also like to try this delightful Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with three layers of moist chocolate cake with mocha cream cheese frosting. This Double Chocolate Layer Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream come true. With three layers of rich, moist chocolate cake, silky cream cheese and chocolate frosting this dessert is sure to satisfy any craving for something sweet. This Chocolate Norwegian Cake is absolutely delightful and looks really impressive. The texture of the cake is truly an amazing experience for your taste buds with the crispy meringue and toasted almonds in combination with chocolate sponge cake and the silky custard chocolate filling.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Chocolate Strawberry Coffee Layer Cake
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Vertical Layer Cake
Chocolate Layer Cake
Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake
Ding Dong Cake – Moist Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Cream Filling
Chocolate Layer Cakes
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp (110g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (6g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60g) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot coffee
Vanilla Pastry Cream Filling
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (10g) flour
- 3 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (300g) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (6g) gelatin powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cold water
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate
- 3.5 oz (100g) whipping cream
Prepare chocolate cake layers.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease with butter and line with parchment paper two 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl mix sugar with eggs and oil until combined. Mix in buttermilk and vanilla extract. Incorporate flour mixture until well combined. Add hot coffee and mix to combine. The batter will have a runny consistency.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool completely.
Prepare the vanilla pastry cream.
- Place milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with sugar and salt until well combined. Add flour and cornstarch and mix to combine.
- Gradually add milk to the egg mixture and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and press it directly onto the pastry cream's surface to prevent skin from forming. Let cool to room temperature.
Prepare the vanilla filling.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over the vanilla pastry cream, and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate it into the pastry cream mixture.
Assemble the cake.
- Turn one cake onto a serving platter.
- Place a cake ring around the cake and line it with an acetate sheet.
- Pour the filling over the cake and smooth the top. Add the second layer of cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or even overnight.
Prepare the chocolate ganache.
- Place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Spread it evenly over the cake.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Decorate with chocolate decorations and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Thank you Mona. Hope you will try it out.
What a delicious recipe this looks like. I really like the expendable tin and that plastic lining or whatever material that is you line the inside of the tin with. That really gives you the professional finish. Could you possibly put a link to those 2 items. A square adjustable one would be too. This is what l have been missing from my cake making.
Thank you Branka. So glad you like the cake. I have my adjustable cake ring for many years now. But you can find many smiliar ones on Amazon for instance. Just search for adjustable cake ring. As for the transparent lining just search for acetate sheet. You can find various sizes. Hope this helps:)
Thank you. You make it look so easy!
It is an easy recipe. Hope you will try it out 🙂
Delicious fluffy chocolate cake layers, and the pastry cream center had a wonderful light consistency. I think I will try the Norwegian chocolate layer cake next. Thank you for a wonderful recipe, I so enjoyed making it!
So happy to hear that Ellen. Yes, you also myst try the Norwegian Cake, really love those sponge layers with the crispy meringue on top.