Two of my best friends organized for me a surprise baby shower at the beginning of this year. The table was full of delicious appetizers they have prepared for this event. Among them were some spinach and mushroom pinwheels which captured my attention. Since then I wanted to make them by myself and post the recipe so I can share it with you.
Spinach and Mushroom Pinwheels
- 3 cups flour
- 200 g butter , cut in small cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 30 ml milk
- 10 g fresh yeast
- pinch of salt
- 500 g fresh spinach
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk , beaten
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in the milk. In a medium sized bowl mix well the butter with flour and salt. Add the eggs and the milk with yeast and mix until well blended. Knead well, cover with plastic and refrigerate for about 1 hour to let the yeast develop.
- Meanwhile prepare the spinach filling. In a sauce pan put water to boil, wait until water is a bubbling boil, add fresh spinach and cook for 3 minutes, drain immediately. Set aside to cool down. When cold enough cut a little bit in smaller pieces.
- In a large flat-bottomed frying pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms and spinach and cook until any liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper and remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 (350F).
- Cut the dough into 3 equal pieces. Sprinkle flour on the working surface. Using a rolling pin roll out each piece into a rectangular about 12 inches (30 cm) long, 10 high.
- Cover the dough with 1/3 of the spinach filling. Roll and cut into 1 inch slices. Arrange dough pieces in a baking tray. Brush with egg yolk.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned.