I have always enjoyed this Chocolate Swirl Milk Bread and it always brings back childhood memories. I am so excited to finally be able to share the recipe with you. This Chocolate Swirl Milk Bread has a soft crumb and is a perfect treat alongside milk or tea, for breakfast or simply as a snack during the day. Vanilla and chocolate have always made a great combination, a classic one that will always be on trend.
This bread consists of vanilla and chocolate sweet milk bread doughs, rolled together and baked until it is well risen and beautifully golden.
How to make the chocolate swirl bread.
The recipe for this sweet bread is really easy and quick to prepare. First you need to prepare the whole dough, divide it in two and add cocoa powder in half of the dough.
Let both pieces of dough rise until doubled in size and roll each separately onto an oiled surface. Add the chocolate dough over the vanilla dough and continue rolling slightly. Start rolling up the dough almost to the end. Cut about 10 strips. Twist some of them to alternate colors. Continue rolling and place the bread into a greased loaf pan.
For a more chocolaty bread, before rolling, you can spread nutella over the chocolate dough or add chocolate chips or even chocolate ganache.
Before baking, brush the top with beaten egg and place in the oven. If browns too fast, cover with aluminum foil after about 15 minutes of baking. It is essential to let the bread cool completely before slicing.
If you like sweet bread recipes you may also like this Cinnamon Braided Bread and Knots 4 ways. This Nutella Pull Apart Bread is always kids’ favorite treat and this Orange Nutella Walnut Babka is perfect for any occasion.
You can easily adapt this recipe for creating various swirl breads. You can add coffee instead of cocoa powder for vanilla and coffee swirl bread. Or add matcha instead of cocoa to create a vanilla and matcha bread. Spread various fillings, like nutella, chocolate ganache, ground nuts or fruits before rolling the bread. Variations are endless and I really hope you will try this amazing chocolate swirl milk bread. Enjoy!
Chocolate Swirl Milk Bread
- 2 ⅔ cups (330g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 2/3 cup (160ml) lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp (4g) active dry yeast (15 g fresh yeast)
- 3 tbsp (40g) butter , melted
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
For chocolate dough
- 2 tbsp (16g) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp (15ml) milk
- 1 egg , beaten
Prepare the dough.
- In a medium bowl add yeast, 1 tsp (5g) sugar and ⅓ cup lukewarm milk. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the remaining milk, activated yeast, beaten egg, vanilla extract and melted butter. Start kneading it until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. You can knead the dough by hand or use a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Divide the dough in two equal pieces. Give the vanilla dough the shape of a ball. Transfer the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Add cocoa powder and milk to the other half of the dough. Continue kneading until the dough is mixed well. Transfer the chocolate dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rest for about 1 hour at room temperature (warm space) until doubled in size.
Roll the bread.
- On an oiled surface roll the vanilla dough into about a 8×12 inch (20x30cm) rectangle.
- Repeat with the chocolate dough.
- Place chocolate dough over the vanilla dough. Continue rolling to about a 8x 20 inch (20x50cm) rectangle.
- Start rolling up the dough almost to the end.
- Cut about 10 strips. Twist some of them to alternate colors.
- Continue rolling.
- Transfer the roll to a 8½ x 4½-inch (1 liter capacity) loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes to room temperature.
How to bake the bread.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Brush the bread with beaten egg.
- Reduce oven temperature to 320F (160C).
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil after about 15 minutes if browns too fast.
- Let the chocolate swirl milk bread cool completely before cutting it into slices.