I really love strawberries, their irresistible flavor, their aspect and their ease to use in various recipes. Strawberries are the kind of fruits that go well with almost anything, from vanilla to chocolate, paired with cream cheese, whipping cream, yogurt and the list can go on and on. These strawberry cupcakes are very flavorful and moist.
These cupcakes are made from scratch, using real strawberries and homemade strawberry filling. It’s true they can take some time, more than making some simple muffins, but totally worth the effort. They were simply IRRESISTIBLE.
The strawberry puree inside the cupcakes is a true delight. This time I simply piped some filling into the cupcakes but next time will definitely scoop the cupcakes to make sure I can add even more strawberry jam inside.
You can make the strawberry filling a couple of days in advance to make things easier. If refrigerated it keeps well for up to a week. Homemade strawberry jam really makes a difference, so don’t skip this step.
I really like the two color frosting, it makes a beautiful topping effect for cupcakes, but if you think it takes too much time simply use one color frosting, will be as delicious. Try them out and don’t forget to let me know how they turn for you 🙂
- 1 stick (110g) butter
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (190g) flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 10 oz (300g) strawberries
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- juice from half of lemon
- 1 tbsp water
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 9 oz (250g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup (200g) heavy cream , cold
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- red food coloring , optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Prepare the vanilla cupcakes. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl combine sour cream with milk.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and milk mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Scoop batter evenly among liners, about 2/3 full each. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the strawberry jam. The jam can also be made a day or two before to save time. Refrigerate until ready to use. In a small saucepan put the strawberries, sugar,lemon juice and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. My strawberries were pretty big and I pressed them with a fork to speed up the process. Simmer until the mixture is thick, for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.
- Place the strawberry jam into a piping bag fitted with a small tip or simply use a teaspoon to fill the cupcakes. Pipe a small amount of strawberry jam into the top of each cupcake. If you want your cupcakes to have bigger amount of filling inside you will need to scoop out the tops.
- Make the frosting. In a bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar. In another bowl whip the cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Fold together.
- Incorporate 2 tbsp of jam and then divide frosting in half. In one half add a bit of red food coloring if desired. The frostings may need to set in the fridge to ease the piping. Place each frosting into different piping bags and add the piping bags into an empty one fitted with your desired cupcake tip. Pipe cupcakes. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.