I really love strawberries, their irresistible flavor, their aspect and their ease to use in various recipes. Strawberries are the kind of fruits that go well with almost anything, from vanilla to chocolate, paired with cream cheese, whipping cream, yogurt and the list can go on and on. These strawberry cupcakes are very flavorful and moist.
These cupcakes are made from scratch, using real strawberries and homemade strawberry filling. It’s true they can take some time, more than making some simple muffins, but totally worth the effort. They were simply IRRESISTIBLE.
The strawberry puree inside the cupcakes is a true delight. This time I simply piped some filling into the cupcakes but next time will definitely scoop the cupcakes to make sure I can add even more strawberry jam inside.
You can make the strawberry filling a couple of days in advance to make things easier. If refrigerated it keeps well for up to a week. Homemade strawberry jam really makes a difference, so don’t skip this step.
I really like the two color frosting, it makes a beautiful topping effect for cupcakes, but if you think it takes too much time simply use one color frosting, will be as delicious. Try them out and don’t forget to let me know how they turn for you 🙂
Strawberry and Ricotta Tart
Strawberry Panna Cotta
- 1 stick (110g) butter
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (190g) flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 10 oz (300g) strawberries
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- juice from half of lemon
- 1 tbsp water
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 9 oz (250g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup (200g) heavy cream , cold
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- red food coloring , optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Prepare the vanilla cupcakes. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl combine sour cream with milk.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and milk mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Scoop batter evenly among liners, about 2/3 full each. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the strawberry jam. The jam can also be made a day or two before to save time. Refrigerate until ready to use. In a small saucepan put the strawberries, sugar,lemon juice and water. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. My strawberries were pretty big and I pressed them with a fork to speed up the process. Simmer until the mixture is thick, for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely before using.
- Place the strawberry jam into a piping bag fitted with a small tip or simply use a teaspoon to fill the cupcakes. Pipe a small amount of strawberry jam into the top of each cupcake. If you want your cupcakes to have bigger amount of filling inside you will need to scoop out the tops.
- Make the frosting. In a bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar. In another bowl whip the cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Fold together.
- Incorporate 2 tbsp of jam and then divide frosting in half. In one half add a bit of red food coloring if desired. The frostings may need to set in the fridge to ease the piping. Place each frosting into different piping bags and add the piping bags into an empty one fitted with your desired cupcake tip. Pipe cupcakes. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Nothing says springtime to me like strawberries. I would be very happy with one of these right now — for breakfast. 🙂
What a perfect strawberry treat! I love that you added a homemade jam filling plus that swirled icing is beautiful!!
These are adorable Ella. They look so perfect for a festive party and I love the filling inside.
Your sweet treats are always gorgeous Ella! Lovely cupcakes!Pinned!
I can never resist a good cupcake.. and I definitely am craving one of these right now. Your strawberry cupcakes are perfect!
I just made strawberry shortcake style cupcakes last weekend, and they were no where as pretty as these! I love the swirls in the frosting — gorgeous! Pinned to try. 🙂
I am only 16 and I can cook but i cannot bake but i will try this tomorrow .
Cool.. how did thet turned out :)?
These are adorable!!!! You know I have a weakness for filled cupcakes!!! These are BEAUTIFUL and the swirled frosting is perfection! Pinned!
Thank you for this recipe! I just baked the cupcakes, but haven’t added the strawberry jam or frosting yet,…but the cupcakes came out great! I live in France so a lot of the times American recipes don’t quite work out. But yours did! We don’t really have sour cream here, so I substituted creme fraiche. I’m looking forward to filling and frosting these. Thank you!
So glad they turned great for you:) Maybe they turned well for you as I am European too 🙂 hehe.. let me know if you enjoyed them after filling and frosting.
Perfect strawberry cupcakes recipe.I made it at my home.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.
I am so glad you enjoyed the cupcakes:) thank you for your review
These sound so good, thanks for sharing this delicious looking recipe.