Watch the video for this recipe:
This recipe for cherry clafoutis is one of the easiest French desserts you can ever make, simply perfect for cherry season and is absolutely amazing. A custard like base and lots of cherries on top, sprinkled with a bit of powdered sugar, it is best served warm either as a dessert or even for breakfast.
The classic French clafoutis is made with unpitted cherries as the pits release some almond flavor but I prefer to remove the pits as it is much easier to serve and is best for kids too and just add some almond extract along with the rest of ingredients.
For the base you only need few ingredients you always have in house like eggs, butter, flour and milk. You just need to mix all together to form a thick crepe batter and everything is poured over the pitted cherries. Bake until puffed and golden and voila, one of the best summer deserts is ready to serve. Give this cherry clafoutis a try and let’s enjoy this summer marvelous cherries in one of the best ways possible.
Recipe slightly adapted after marmiton
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- 20 oz (600 g) fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (100g) flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (or 3 drops of almond essence)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For Dusting
- powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease a round 10 inch (26cm) baking dish with butter. Dust with about 2 tbsp of sugar.
Arrange the cherries in a single layer; set aside until you prepare the batter.
- Mix eggs with remaining sugar and salt. Stir in flour. Add milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and mix well until well blended. Add melted butter and stir to combine. The result is similar to crepes mixture.
Pour the mixture over the cherries.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Cool on a rack for few minutes while it deflates. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm or chilled.