I’ve been wanting to share the delicious Shakshuka recipe with you for some time now. I stumbled upon it a while ago and instantly fell in love with this dish. It’s all about eggs poached in a tasty tomato sauce that’s easy to make, healthy, comforting, and bursting with flavor. The colors are absolutely wonderful, making it a recipe you simply must try. Typically enjoyed for breakfast or as a perfect brunch option on lazy weekends.
Although Shakshuka originated in Tunisia, it has become incredibly popular across the Middle East, and you can find different versions of this dish all around the world.
How to make Shakshuka – Eggs in Tomato Sauce
To make this delicious recipe, heat olive oil in a 12-inch (30cm) frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until it softens. Stir in the garlic.
Next, add the red bell pepper and continue cooking over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until it becomes tender. Stir in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes and add all the spices and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until it starts to reduce. Adjust the seasonings according to your taste. Add more chili flakes for a spicier sauce or sugar for a sweeter one.
Now, crack the eggs over the tomato mixture, placing one in the middle and five around the edges of the pan. Cover the pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked.
To serve, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and enjoy with crusty bread or pita.
The best way to enjoy Shakshuka is by serving it right after cooking, alongside some crusty bread or pita. You can adjust the cooking time to your liking, whether you prefer runny or firm yolks. Give it a go, share it with your loved ones, and everyone is sure to be delighted. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you.
Other recipes with eggs you may like to try
This delectable Mushroom Egg Galette combines earthy mushrooms and perfectly cooked eggs, enveloped in a delicate pastry crust. Discover a culinary delight that effortlessly marries simplicity and sophistication, making it an ideal choice for any meal.
These Easy Baked Egg Boats offer a simple yet impressive twist on traditional breakfast favorites. Picture warm, crusty bread transformed into a vessel that cradles perfectly baked eggs, all topped with your favorite savory fillings.
Experience the ultimate comfort food with these Twice Baked Potato with Egg on Top. Indulge in the irresistible combination of creamy, fluffy potato filled with a delectable medley of flavors, all crowned with a perfectly cooked egg.
Satisfy your morning cravings with a scrumptious No Yeast Breakfast Pizza topped with a perfectly cooked egg. This easy-to-make delight brings together the irresistible combination of a crispy crust, flavorful sauce, gooey cheese, and the crowning jewel – a deliciously runny egg.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Energy Breakfast Sandwich
Potato Crust Quiche
Filo Mini Quiches
Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
Roasted Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Muffin Pan Popovers
Eggless Savory Scones
Tortilla de Patatas – Spanish Omelette
Apple French Toast Roll-Ups
Baked Scotch Eggs
Quick and Easy Bread Pizza
Scrambled Eggs with Sunflower Seeds
Recipe adapted after Tori Avey
Shakshuka -Eggs in Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 cans (14 oz.- 400g each) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30g) tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- chili flakes , to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- fresh parsley/cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 12 inch (30cm) frying pan over medium heat.Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Stir in garlic.
- Add red bell pepper and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until softened
- Stir in tomato paste and diced tomatoes and add all the spices and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until it starts to reduce. Adjust the seasonings according to your tastes, add more chili flakes for a spicier sauce or sugar for a sweeter one.
- Crack the eggs over the tomato mixture, one in the middle and 5 around the edges of the pan. Cover the pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve with crusty bread or pita. Enjoy!