This is my first time trying a semifreddo recipe. Searching for the perfect one I ran over Donna Hay’s recipe which seemed very easy to do. I used her basic recipe and added some cherries as they are in season now to add a delicious summer flavor and so created my cherry semifreddo recipe.
I must say the cherry semifreddo is amazing, very creamy and you don’t need to have an ice cream maker to create this amazing dessert. What I would change next time would be to roughly cut the cherries in smaller pieces, so they could be more easily cut and served.
This dessert is refreshing and quite elegant, perfect to end a dinner or just serve it in a hot summer day.
Cherry semifreddo is an amazing summer dessert, creamy, refreshing and elegant, perfect to end a dinner on hot summer days. No ice cream maker needed.
- 1 pound (400g) fresh cherries , pitted
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks , extra
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 cups (500ml )heavy whipping cream
- Place the eggs, extra yolks, vanilla and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat for 6–8 minutes or until thick and pale. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold through the egg mixture until well combined.
- Line a 2 litre-capacity loaf tin with plastic wrap. Put the pitted cherries down into the bottom of the loaf tin, and pour the cream mixture on top. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve invert onto a plate, remove the plastic wrap and cut into slices.
Serving: 1gCalories: 296kcalCarbohydrates: 40.2gProtein: 3.6gFat: 13.9gSaturated Fat: 7.8gCholesterol: 155mgSugar: 25.2g
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
How beautiful! I’ve had semifreddo at a restaurant(s) but never made it at home. It’s simple and delicious. I love that you made it with cherries. Gorgeous looking and I know it’s delicious!!
Do you think I can make semifreddo with blackberry?
That would work wonderfully.. hope you will try it out