Berry Pavlova is an irresistible dessert, one of the best desserts you can make during the summer. The meringues are very light and delicate, with a crispy crust and soft marshmallow like interior. Their sweetness is so well balanced with the tart fresh seasonal berries, and lightly sweet whipped cream.
The recipe is very easy to prepare, you need to have the eggs separated very carefully so no egg yolks remain which will make the whites whip really well and reach their maximum volume. Caster sugar is used in this recipe as this dissolves easier than regular sugar. The cornstarch and vinegar are used as stabilizers and help creating the marshmallow textured center and crispy shell which is specific to pavlova.
You can either make a whole meringue or divide the mixture to create separate meringues and then put together using whipped cream and fruits. No matter which way you choose it to be, you will be absolutely delighted by this Berry Pavlova. Summer shouldn’t pass without trying this heavenly dessert.
Recipe slightly adapted after taste.com.au
- 6 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups (300g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups (500g) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound (500g) fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C). Trace 8 in (20 cm) circle on two pieces of parchment paper. Flip and place on baking sheets.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl and start whipping at medium speed until foamy and soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, and continue whipping for about 7-8 minutes until thick, white and glossy.
- Add the vinegar and cornstarch and fold them in using a spatula.
- Divide and spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets. Using a spatula form 8 in (20 cm) meringue rounds.
- Place both sheets in the oven and bake for 1 hour until dry and crispy on the outside and slightly golden.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla extract and whip to combine.
- Place one of the meringue on to the serving plate. Spread half of the cream and about 7 oz (200g) of the fresh berries.
- Place the other meringue on top, spread the other half of the whipped cream and finish with the rest of the berries (about 10 oz – 300g) on top. Decorate with mint leaves if desired and serve.