f you’re looking for a delightful dessert to enjoy during cherry season, this Cherry Puff Pastry Cake with Caramelized White Chocolate Frosting is a heavenly option. The cake consists of two layers of rolled puff pastry sheets, filled with fresh cherries and baked together in a spiral formation. It’s then filled with a scrumptious caramelized white chocolate cream cheese frosting and topped with chocolate ganache and fresh cherries for a visually stunning presentation.
Despite its impressive appearance, this cake is actually quite simple and quick to prepare. Its unique appearance is reminiscent of the Russian “Monastery Hut,” but with a different shape, ingredients, and frosting. Your guests will be amazed by the taste and presentation of this delicious dessert.
How to make this Cherry Puff Pastry Cake
The recipe begins by preparing the cherry puff pastry layers. For this divide, each puff pastry sheet into three strips and place pitted cherries on each strip. Once rolled and sealed, these strips are arranged into a spiral formation in two pans. Bake the puff pastry layers until golden.
Next, prepare the caramelized white chocolate frosting. Melt the white chocolate over a bain-marie and bake it until golden brown. Mix the melted caramelized chocolate with cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipped cream. This will create a delectable frosting that is spread between the two layers of the puff pastry cake.
After assembling the cake, refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Once ready, prepare the chocolate ganache by melting chocolate and cream over low heat. Spread it over the edges of the cake. Decorate the cake with chopped chocolate, fresh cherries, and chocolate curls.
I thoroughly enjoyed making this cake and found it to be an excellent way to incorporate cherries into a memorable dessert. What’s more, this cake can be made all year round using canned cherries or even other berries, making it a versatile dessert option.
So why not try making this Cherry Puff Pastry Cake for yourself and see how it turns out? I’m confident that you’ll love it just as much as I did. If you do try it out don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. Enjoy!
Other puff pastry desserts you may like to try
If you like puff pastry desserts you may also like to try this amazing Puff Pastry Strawberry Cheesecake. This cake combines cheesecake’s rich and creamy texture with the buttery and flaky layers of puff pastry. This Kremšnita – Vanilla Custard Cake is another puff pastry dessert we love and highly recommend. This delicious dessert is made with sheets of crispy puff pastry, filled with a generous amount of vanilla custard cream. This Raspberry Mille Feuille is a classic French pastry made from layers of delicate, flaky puff pastry, fresh raspberries, and rich pastry cream.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Cherry Cream Cheese Crepes
Cherry Puff Pastry Cake with Caramelized White Chocolate Frosting
Cherry Puff Pastry Layers
- 2 puff pastry sheets , (about 9 inch -250g) each)
- 26 oz (750g) fresh cherries , pitted
- 1 small egg , beaten
Caramelized White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 oz (200g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- 10 oz (300g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cup (360g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
Chocolate Ganache Drips
- 2 oz (60g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- fresh cheries
- chocolate curls
First prepare the cherry puff pastry layers.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of two 8 or 9 inch (20-23cm) pans. Set aside.
- Unroll the first puff pastry sheet and roll it slightly with a rolling pin.
- Divide in 3 equal strips, lengthwise.
- Line about 4 oz (120g) pitted cherries over each strip of dough. Roll the dough and brush the edge with beaten egg to seal the edges. Pinch the ends and repeat with the remaining 2 strips of dough.
- In the prepared pan arrange the 3 pastry rolls into a spiral by pinching the ends. If possible leave a bit of space between lines to puff and cook better. Set aside until you prepare the second puff pastry.
- Divide the second puff pastry sheet in 3 equal strips, lengthwise.
- Repeat filling the strips with cherries, roll and arrange the 3 pastry rolls into a spiral into the second pan.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the caramelized white chocolate frosting.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300F (150C). In a heatproof bowl add the white chocolate and melt over a bain-marie.
- Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown and turn into crumbs. Let it cool.
- In a heat proof bowl add the caramelized white chocolate crumbs and 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream and melt over bain-marie.
- Sieve to make sure no lumps remain. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- In another bowl mix the chilled whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate into chocolate cream cheese mixture.
Assemble the cake.
- Add a bit of frosting onto a serving platter. Place the first layer of cherry puff pastry.
- Spread a bit less than half of the frosting. Add the second layer of puff pastry. Spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake. Smooth the top and edges.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or even overnight.
Prepare the chocolate ganache.
- Place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat.
- Use a spoon and start making drips around the edges. When you finish all the drips on the edges, spread a bit of ganache over the edge of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
- Decorate the bottom of the cake with chopped chocolate. Decorate the top with fresh cherries and chocolate curls and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
I made this recipe a week ago, it’s amazing! Came out exactly like the pictures. Do buy the best cherries that you can get for this one, it’s definitely worth it.
So happy you tried this out Ellen 🙂 It is one of the best summer cakes indeed.