This delicious dessert made of sheets of crispy puff pastry, filled with vanilla custard cream is very familiar in many European countries and it is known under various names: cremeschnitte, krempita, kremšnita, krémes, cremsnit, cremes and so on. No matter how is called it is definitely a dessert you need to try at least once in a lifetime.
Making your own kremsnita it’s really not complicated at all, especially if you use store-bought puff pastry. The cream is prepared really quickly, and the hard part is simply the time it needs to set in the fridge.
As Easter is approaching this Kremsnita dessert might be a great choice to prepare for your loved ones. Enjoy!
Kremšnita - Krempita - Cremeschnitte - Vanilla Custard Cake
- 1 package (250g) puff pastry
- 3 ⅓ cup 800 ml ) milk , divided
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar , divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- Prepare the pastry sheets. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Roll the puff pastry thin (so that you can cut 2 – 8 inch (20cm) squares in the end) and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Prepare the vanilla custard filling. Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar, cornstarch, flour and gradually incorporate 1 cup (240ml) milk. Whisk to combine.
- Place the remaining 2 ? cup (560ml) into a saucepan and bring to boil. While whisking continuously pour the yolks mixture over the hot milk and continue cooking until thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Add salt over the whites and start whipping until foamy. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped whites into the hot milk mixture.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Incorporate into the mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Cut the baked puff pastry into 2 8 inch (20cm) squares.
- Place one square at the bottom of a square 8 inch (20cm) pan.
- Add the filling and smooth the top.
- Cut the remaining square of puff pastry into 6 or 8 equal pieces. Place them on top of the custard.
- Refrigerate the cake for 3 -4 hours to set.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!