It’s been a while ever since I said I would do an enchilada recipe to share with you all. Couldn’t decide if I should make a vegetarian filling or something with meat. I finally decided to use chicken and vegetable filling and I am so glad I did so. These chicken and bean enchiladas are really flavorful, healthy and makes a perfect lunch or dinner.
Even though it is a very popular recipe in United States, few know about it in Europe. For those who are not familiar with this dish, Enchiladas are a Mexican dish, made with tortillas, which are rolled around various fillings, covered with chili sauce and cheese and baked until cheese is melted. They are usually garnished with fresh green onion, cilantro and sour cream.
There can be many variations for the filling, that can include more types of meat, vegetables and cheese.
As usual, I wanted to make everything from scratch, therefore I boiled the chicken with a lot of vegetables, a day before and prepared this way the chicken stock I needed for Enchilada sauce. Next I did the Enchilada sauce and tortillas and so everything was ready to assemble the chicken and bean enchiladas the next day.
If you are in a rush, you can simply use store-bought roasted chicken, tortillas and sauce. This way you will need no more than 15 minutes to have it all prepared and ready to place in the oven.
Penne with Mushroom Bolognese
Homemade Tagliatelle with Tomato Sauce
Chicken and Bean Enchiladas
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inch-20cm)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml0 vegetable oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp (10g) flour
- 2 tsp (6g) chili powder
- 1/2 cup (120g) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (1g) oregano
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
Chicken Bean Filling
- 2 cups (300g) chicken breast , cooked and shredded (from about 1 pound uncooked chicken breast)
- 1 red chili pepper , chopped
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese , grated
- 3/4 cup (180g) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup (90g) red kidney beans , cooked
- fresh cilantro , chopped
- Remaining enchilada sauce
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese , grated
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- sour cream
- spring onion , chopped
- If you want to do everything from scratch, you can cook the chicken, prepare the sauce, and tortillas one day in advance. For homemade tortillas you can find the recipe here. Refrigerate and use the next day for assembling the enchiladas.How to prepare Enchilada sauce:In a saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, tomato paste, chicken stock, and spices:oregano, coriander, cumin and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside and use when needed.
- How to prepare the Enchilada casserole: Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).
- Grease with butter a 8X12 (20x30cm) baking dish. Place a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Prepare the ingredients for the filling, the cheese, red chili pepper, beans, and shred the cooked chicken breast.
- Place shredded chicken in a large bowl, add red chili pepper, beans, cheese and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine.
- Place some chicken bean mixture in center of tortilla, roll up and place into the prepared baking dish, seam-side down.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with chopped cilantro/parsley, chopped green onion and sour cream.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Looks amazing! With so many ingredients these step by step pictures are great! Pinning!
Wow! How come my enchiladas never look that gorgeous in a pan? They not only look beautiful, but I bet they taste amazing too!
Definitely craving some enchiladas right now… these look so incredibly cheesey and delicious!
Salute, your step by step preparation is really stunning….
Wow! 100% from scratch! I’m super impressed! I love enchiladas but I’ve never made them. Your recipe makes me want to give it a go!
I haven’t made enchiladas in a LONG time! These look terrific!
So scrumptious! I love Mexican food and enchiladas.
Oh my, nothing would please me more than this on my plate!
This used to be my Thursday’s lunch when I was working. 😀 I haven’t had it for a long time, not to mention the homemade style! I usually eat tacos when I’m out, so it’s been really a long time. You made awesome enchiladas! Would love to dig in!
Fixed this for dinner tonight and it was a hit. I thought my husband was going to lick the plate. I would love to be able to make enough of the sauce to can it. The flavor was amazing!!
It is very tasty. Thank you for the recipe.
Felicitaciones por compartir tus ricas recetas me gustaría que me las compartas a mi correo si es posible claro está. Dios te bendiga saludos desde Colombia.
This was a fantastic meal! I am slowly making my way through your recipes. Everyone loved this and my son said this was something he would want to eat weekly!! So good!! Thank you!