There is no doubt that most of the people love Lava Cakes. With their gooey lava center this dessert is one of the most decadent desserts I have ever known. So it should be no surprise why I keep turning back to it and try to recreate it in various ways. I have shared with you the classic recipe of Chocolate Lava Cake, then people asked me for an eggless version that we also love, and so we shared this Eggless Lava Cake, but then Valentine’s Day was around the corner and I simply had to share this beautiful Red Velvet Lava Cake made with white chocolate and now, I am simply in love with chocolate and salted caramel combination, so, here we are, with a decadent Chocolate and Salted Caramel Lava Cake topped with fleur de sel for an amazing and unforgettable experience.
Lava Cakes are really easy to prepare, are ready in just a few minutes and can be prepared in advance and baked only when guests arrive. This chocolate cake is filled with a homemade salted caramel sauce that can also be made in advance. Hope you won’t feel intimidated by the caramel sauce and try this amazing version of Lava Cake. Enjoy!
Gâteau Moelleux au chocolat
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Coffee Mousse
Chocolate Pudding Cake
Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp (60g) sugar
- 6 oz (170g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (30g) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
Caramel Sauce (makes about 1/2 cup - 120g)
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (3g) vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- First prepare the salted caramel sauce so it has time to cool down. Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream. It will bubble a little bit.
- Cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, butter and salt. Stir well until smooth. Transfer into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Butter 4 ramekins 6-8 fl oz (170-230ml) capacity and dust with flour or cocoa powder.
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Meanwhile beat the eggs with sugar and salt using a whisk or mixer until thick and light yellow. Mix in vanilla extract and flour. Gradually add the melted chocolate and stir well. Pour ¾ of the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Add 1 heaping teaspoon of caramel into the center of each.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for about 14-15 mins until the edges are firm and the center is still soft. Let cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Run a sharp knife completely around the inside edge of the molds and invert onto plates. Top with salted caramel sauce and fleur de sel, and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.