Few years ago I made Tres Leches Cake, a delicious cake consisting of vanilla sponge cake soaked in three types of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and whipping cream and then topped with whipped cream. I always wanted to try the chocolate version of it, and finally here it is, my take on this wonderful Chocolate Tres Leches Cake.
If you love Tres Leches Cake you should definitely try the chocolate one too. It is moist, and rich in chocolate flavor, hard not to fall in love with it. This chocolate version is made of a cocoa sponge cake, soaked in the three types of milk enriched with cocoa powder and then topped with chocolate whipped cream. Definitely a pleasure for chocolate lovers. The recipe is easy but quite impressive and I am sure everybody will be delighted. Hope you will try this Chocolate Cake, and as always, enjoy!
Tres Leches Cake
Chocolate Japanese Cheesecake
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Cocoa Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs ,separated
- 2/3 cup (140g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3 fl. oz (90ml) vegetable oil
- 3 fl. oz (90ml) sparkling water
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (1g) instant coffee
Chocolate Three Milk Glaze
- 10 oz (300g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (240ml) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 6 oz (180g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cup (300g) whipping cream , chilled
- chopped chocolate
- fresh strawberries
Prepare the cocoa sponge cake.
- Preheat the oven to 325F (165C). Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 8 inch (20 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate whites from yolks.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with 1/3 cup (70g) sugar and vanilla extract, until creamy and pale yellow colored. Gradually mix in oil and then add sparkling water. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee and baking powder over the yolk mixture and gently fold them in.
- In a large bowl mix egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup (70g) sugar.
- Continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold a spoon of whipped whites into the yolk mixture and then gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
Prepare chocolate three milk glaze.
- Mix together the sweetened condensed milk with cocoa powder. Add evaporated milk and cream and mix to combine.
- Once cooled, transfer cake to a plastic wrap lined pan. Prick well the cake with a skewer.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Prepare chocolate whipped cream.
- Melt the 6 oz (180g) semisweet chocolate with ½ cup (120g) whipping cream over bain-marie. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip the remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- Remove the cake from the pan and invert to a serving platter. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the chocolate whipped cream. Decorate the bottom edge of the cake with some chopped chocolate.
- Transfer the remaining chocolate whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip and decorate as desired. Add fresh strawberries and sprinkle some chopped chocolate. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Hi, I always have trouble of mixing different ingredients of frosting together. Eg I mix whipping cream with cream cheese or chocolate then when I whip they always separate. Do you have any tips about the temperature or how to get them mixed together without separating? Thanks
I ulsually like to mix them seperately.. and then gently fold them together using a spatula..As for the melted chocolate make sure to cool to room temperature before adding it to whipped cream.. also.. the whipping cream needs to be really chilled to whip well.
Holaa! Quiero comprarme una batidora de varillas y he visto que usas Bosch, me podrías decir qué tal funciona o si te da algún problema?. Gracias y feliz Navidad!
Disculpa por la respuesta tardía. Mi batidora está bien, está haciendo su trabajo. pero no necesariamente mi favorito.
Можно ли разделить. Торт кре – чизом?
I think it would be difficult… maybe you can bake the cake in a sheet pan and add the frosting on top.
Hi! Is there a particular reason for the sparkling water?? Could I substitute that with regular water?
yes.. you can consider using regular water. Sprinkle water helps rising the cake making it light and airy.